seven

you

On any other day, I would loathe staying on the university campus. Once my lecture with Mr Howell was over, it was routine for me to dip from the premises and catch the next train back to my apartment. But today, Wednesday, I was scheduled to see Mr Howell after college hours for a catch-up. I had a literature lecture early this morning, which surprisingly couldn't end soon enough. Spared of a few hours before reuniting with the auditorium, I found a small cafe just by Victoria station. I ordered myself a cappuccino and a chocolate chip muffin for my lunch before the walk back to uni.
Back to Mr Howell.
"(y/n)! Welcome back. How's your day been? Outside this room, of course." Mr Howell's flustered state was somewhat flattering but genuinely sweet to see.
"I've hardly done anything but I'm still exhausted!" I sighed, placing my coffee on his desk.
"We can reschedule?"
"No need. I wouldn't miss this." I smiled back. Mr Howell did the same, knowing I was also quite nervous.
Whenever in each other's private company, Mr Howell and I were always in a frantic and anxious state. We wanted to impress each other, no doubt. He didn't have to do much, however. He impressed me daily. He was a real-life angel; incredibly attractive with a huge heart in the right place. Mr Howell, or Daniel in my head, was never to know about my interest in him. It could cost him his career and my place at this university.
"So, how's my essay on Milk and Honey looking?" I sighed, leaning on the back of his chair and looking over his shoulder. He was reading my work so far and had made clear alterations and corrections all over.
"Already, amazing. I've reworded some things to make sure you get the marks needed. I know I'm marking it but I have to be fair, not bias."
"Bias how?"
"Well you're obviously my top-scoring and favourite student, besides the stupid no favourites line."
"Favourite?" I never expected to be someone's favourite anything, especially nothing to do with Daniel.
He simply smiled and nodded as a reply and I felt a strong blush covering my face. Luckily, he'd looked away and didn't see how flushed I'd become.
"Well well, Daniel, you flatter me."
It took me no longer than a few seconds to realise what I'd done. I'd never called him that before and I didn't expect to do it while half-admitting my reaction to his compliments.
"Sorry, I meant to call you Mr How-." He cut me off mid sentence, holding a hand on my shoulder.
"No, it's fine. Call me Daniel more."
A moment of silence allowed us to notice that we were looking straight into each other's eyes. It felt comfortable and not strange at all. It was different, but definitely sent a warmth around my body.
Dan looked briefly at his watch and then back to me with apologetic eyes.
"I must go. I know I'm cutting the session short and you have my dearest apologies. I have an apartment to clean for a potential upcoming event. You wouldn't mind turning off the lights when you're done would you?" Dan packed his things as he spoke to me. I was completely fine with him leaving. If he were to stay, something we both would regret could've happened.
"Of course. I'll see you Friday."
He stopped just as he began to leave the door and smiled to me as if he were taking in the final sight of me for the day. After a short nod, he left the room completely and the door closed gently behind him.
See you Friday, Daniel.