Treasure Hunt | Prologue

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

The music thundered behind me, the lights flashing off the walls made even harder to see clearly, my vision already blurring as I forced myself to keep going. I left out the sliding door, slipping away from everyone else and never once looked back.

I walked with a limp to my car, just a little ways down from the house I'd exited as fast as my overused body – my legs were still quivering – could take me. It was hot outside, the end-of-July air burning my already raw throat as I tried to get my hyperventilating under control, but I couldn't stop trembling.

I finally made it to my Jeep; by the time I grasped my lanyard from the pocket of my jeans, my hands were shaking so hard, I nearly dropped them against the asphalt. I quickly climbed inside after and made sure to lock it and my windows.

It was still hard to catch my breath, starting the engine and putting in drive. I couldn't drive faster than maybe 15 miles per hour, I wasn't able to force my leg down any harder than I already struggling to. Everything was blurry, my head was spinning, but thankfully the drive wasn't that far away, just a few streets over.

When I'd finally reached my destination, I shut the engine off and took a second to just sit there, processing what had just happened. And I didn't want to. I looked around, first, making sure no one was outside, all I could see was the familiar parked cars sitting in the driveway and along the street, before climbing out, attempting to make a run for it.

Big mistake.

On unsteady legs, I made a run for the front door. I knocked with all my strength, which wasn't much to begin with. The few seconds before the door opened felt like an eternity.

I recognized the face of the man opening the door, but couldn't force my brain to process who it was. "Lo—" Everything had started to go spotty.

I fell into him, and he barely caught me, stumbling to keep us upright. "Dalton? Dalton, Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to you?" but by then, everything had turned to black.