Treasure Hunt | Six

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

I'd spent the better part of the last couple of weeks doing everything I could to stay out of my parents way. At least they'd dropped the bullshit about the depression. But ever since I had woken up this morning, I had the feeling of impending doom. Which meant that my anxiety was going to force me to lock myself away in my bedroom for most of the day. Unfortunately for me, this baby liked to sit against my bladder, which also forced me to leave my little sanctuary on more than one occasion. During my latest bathroom break, I'd realized that I'd barely eaten all day, and now since I was thinking about it, I was starving. I decided on making ramen before going back into hiding.

My parents had left for the night. I didn't bother to find out, or care for that matter, where they were going. But since they were gone, Peter decided to have his friends over, and from what I could tell, there was a lot of them. The music boomed from the basement, the bass thumping under my feet. It'd been the first time since that night.

Just thinking about it made me nauseous. My parents hadn't been home then, either. I shook my head, trying to focus on my noodles. But the sound of someone coming up the steps right outside the kitchen was enough to make me panic, and I could only imagine that I looked like a deer caught in the headlights, but much to my relief, it was only my brother.

"What's the matter with you?" He raised a brow as I let out an audible sigh of relief.

"Nothing," I lied, my heart felt like it would be right through my chest.

He grabbed a bag of chips off of the top of the fridge and started eating. It was a few minutes of silence between us before he said, "He wants to see you."

"I don't want to see him." I didn't even bother looking at him.

"Why not?" He pressed. "You used to be so excited when we'd ask you to come hang out with us." It had never been a surprise to my brother about the way I felt.

"I said no alright? I don't wanna see him. I don't wanna talk to him, I don't want anything to do with him, okay?" I didn't want my heart to crumble if he knew.

I faced my brother, only to feel like I'd been punched in the gut. Or maybe the heart. Or both. But there he was: standing in the doorway of the stairs, Pale in the face, looking between the two of us with Peter's focus on him, already. He, without a doubt, had heard every single word I said. But he didn't say anything, just disappeared back down the steps.

Gone.

Just like that.

And just before my brother went after him, he said, "I think he got the message."

I went back to my room, not hungry at all, anymore. More like sick to my stomach.

If that night never happened, none of this would've happened.

I didn't want to be in this house anymore.

What are you doing? I texted Loran, not sure if I was going to get a response.

But much to my surprise, he texted me back almost instantly. On my way.

What? What does that mean?

He didn't answer me back, and I had no idea what that was supposed to mean. Maybe that wasn't supposed to be sent to me? I had no idea. But I couldn't help the way it made my gut feel giddy.

I didn't know what it was about Loran that made me feel good. I hadn't felt like this in a while, and it was a nice feeling. He made me feel like nothing had happened. When we were together, I felt good. Downright amazing, if I was being honest. But then once we separated, I felt terrible.