Treasure Hunt | Seven

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

After seeing the nursery, and all the thought and love that Loran put into making sure that my - our? - baby had what they needed, I decided it was for the best to move in right away. That being said, I couldn't really just up and leave.

My mother would be much easier to talk to than my father. She was doing dishes after dinner, rinsing them and loading them in the dishwasher.

"I need to talk to you." I stood next to her, trying my best to not sound defensive.

She hesitated, looking me up and down. "About?"

I took a deep breath. I just had to do it. "I'm moving out."

"Moving out?" She raised her voice, eyes growing wide in shock, and maybe horror. "What? When did you decide this? Where are you trying to go?"

"Ariel and Logan asked me if I wanted to move in with them and I said yes." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"But why?"

Because I hated being in this house. Because I could raise my baby in a house filled with nothing but love and care. My parents would never understand my sexuality. They already didn't care for it, and they didn't even know it. And I really didn't want to hear what they'd think of me if they knew I was having this baby.

"It's just easier for me. It's closer to school, and work—"

"What, by five minutes?"

"Ten, actually. Which is half the time it takes me to get there." I could care less about that. I was switching to online schooling just before Christmas break, anyway. And I'd already given my job a doctor's note that I'd be out on medical leave.

"You know what, Dalton." I braced myself, ready to get yelled at. But instead, she closed the dishwasher before wiping her hands on the dish towel. "I can't keep you here forever. Although, I thought your sister would have been the first to move out. Not you. And definitely not Peter." Peter was probably never moving out. "If this is what you want, go."

"Thank you."

Abbie damn near lost her mind when I told her, trying to get me to reconsider. Peter...I don't think he knew what to think. He just looked at me, sad, but didn't try to change my mind.

Loran, Logan, and Ariel had refused to let me help at all, so I was stuck on the couch with Ariel on one side of me, with Zach in her lap as the twins did all the heavy lifting. I felt useless just sitting here. Zach had taken it upon himself to recite the alphabet and numbers, talking about how much he could teach the baby.

I loved it.

"I can't believe you have a baby in your tummy." He stared at my belly in awe.

Loran had told me how him and Ava, Zach's mother, had become parents at only fifteen, and that no matter how much he'd tried, the relationship just didn't work out. They broke up shortly after he was born, and then tried to co-parent, but she moved out of state a few years back, and now Loran had him full time.

"You know the baby likes to kick a lot," I pulled up my hoodie, "do you want to feel?"

"Really?" His eyes lit up with excitement.

"Go ahead," My best friend assured him, showing where to put his hands.

He didn't push her hands away as she guided them, and I pushed in a familiar spot that always had a little foot poking out. His little brows furrowed in frustration after a few seconds. "Nothing's happening." He sounded disappointed.