Treasure Hunt | Ten

[ Comment & Vote. 🖤 ]

With the holidays behind us, things seemed to be a lot calmer at home. I was still technically confined to bed rest, but I physically couldn't just sit in the bed all day. I had tried, and it made me feel like I was going stir-crazy. So Loran and I had comprised, he'd help me to the living room before he left for work, and then he'd help me back to the bedroom at night when I was ready to go to sleep. Anything to ensure this baby was healthy, and would stay in as long as possible, I was willing to do.

Peter had been calling and texting me for days, nonstop. I never declined the calls, always just letting them go to voicemail, but never once did he actually leave me a single one. He would text me with a, "call me back." But that was it, and it went on for days. Days.

But if it was an emergency, he would have just texted it to me or left me a voicemail, right?

Right?

I built up the balls to actually answer, putting it on speaker and setting it on my chest with a, "hello?"

"Finally." He already sounded so annoyed with me. "I've been trying to talk to you all week. Why are you ignoring me?"

"I just haven't been in the mood." I shrugged, even though he couldn't see it.

"Whatever, at least you answered this time." He mumbled with a sigh. "I've been trying to tell you that Adam's leaving."

"What do you mean?" I felt a lump begin to form in my throat. "Leaving where?"

"He's moving to Texas to stay with his mom." He said, and then came a long pause with, "He wants to see you one last time, Dal. Just to say bye."

"When is he leaving?"

"About...two hours from now."

Two hours from now. I looked at the clock on my phone, it was barely 10:30 in the morning.

So much for staying on bed rest.

I could hear my brother on the line, calling my name but I hung up without even so much as a goodbye.

I hurried and got dressed in a pair of jeans and a shirt underneath a thick hoodie. I was still small, looking more like I'd devoured a couple of chipotle burritos rather than growing a baby, but maybe in this case it'd be a blessing. If I did see him, I'd rather him not ask questions.

I pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex, too nervous to actually get out.

What in the hell was I even doing?

Why was I doing this?

Why did my heart have to feel so heavy at the thought of him leaving?

I was so happy with Loran; he made me feel so good, and I hadn't felt this way in so long, and I could actually see myself having a relationship with him in the future, so why was I suddenly in mourning over something that I had always knew was never going to be? That was the most fucked up part of the whole thing.

I took a deep breath in, making sure that my belly was properly covered before climbing out. The less questions, the better. It was rare that he wasn't wearing a hat, he never really cared for his curls much, but he'd never get rid of them, either. Not since I told him I loved them. He was loading something into a u-haul, with Peter, and another guy who had his back to me, but it was my brother that noticed me first. He swatted Adam's arm as soon as it was free, and then pointed towards me.