Treasure Hunt | Twelve

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

I didn't feel all that great. I had had my last shot a few days ago. Yesterday I felt...okay. A little off, but okay, otherwise. If you could really call it okay. Today, though, I felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks. I could barely sleep through the night. And I didn't want to wake up Loran.

It was still early morning, only around 6 or so; I climbed out of bed, feeling the urge to get up and walk around. I checked on Zach, sleeping in his own bed and looking like an exact miniature version of Loran. I rubbed my bump, which was a little harder than usual, and wondered what this baby would look like.

Me...or him?

I prayed it wasn't him. I loved this baby no matter what; I've fought so hard to bring them into the world, but I didn't know how I was going to cope, having to look them in the face when all I could envision was some monster.

That wasn't fair. This baby was the most innocent one in all of this. Never was this baby going to feel unloved or unwanted because of my feelings. No matter how fucked up I felt, I'd never show them anything less than the world. No matter what, they would know how much love I held for them; so much that my heart could burst.

"Excuse me, sir," I jumped, not realizing that Logan come around the hall corner, probably coming from the bathroom. "But shouldn't you be in a bed?"

"Laying down hurts." I tried to calm my breathing from the small heart attack I was having.

"Sitting down?"

"Hurts worse."

"You look pale, are you feeling okay?"

"I'm fine." I waved him off, he could be just as overbearing as Loran.

Logan leaned against the wall next me, his arms crossing over his chest. "Listen up, Dalton. I've known you a long time and believe it or not, I can read people pretty well. I know I'm no Loran, but you know you can talk to me, right? If something's bothering you, you know. Or if you ever just wanna talk about how much of a little shit my brother is, I'm all ears."

I laughed, putting my hand on my belly again. "I just feel...eh." I said with a one shouldered shrug. "I think it's just massive anxiety, and maybe really bad heart burn."

The serious look on his face - which made me feel like I was looking at Loran - softened, and he let out a light laugh, "Just try to take it easy, at least for Loran's sanity."

"Yeah, well I'll try."

He laughed, nudging my shoulder before disappearing back down the hallway.

I had gone back to bed, still uncomfortable as before, if not more. I woke up hours later. Ariel and Logan had long left for work, and I could hear cartoons playing on the TV in the living room while I could smell pancakes.

"Morning, daddy!" Zach waved eagerly at me from the couch.

"Hi, Zach." I kissed the top of his head.

"Do you wanna watch cartoons with me?" He moved his favorite dinosaur toy off of the couch seat to make room for me. It'd been a Christmas gift from Logan and Ariel, and ever since he'd opened it, it went wherever he did.

"Maybe in a minute, bud." I said, looking over at Loran who had his back turned to me.

"Okay, daddy!" He grinned up at me.

Loran was in his own world as I came up behind him, wrapping my arms around his back while he was cooking.

"Morning." I murmured, burying my face into his back.

"How are you feeling?" His hand covered mine.

"I'm so tired of that being the first thing anybody says to me, anymore." I pulled back, wrapping my arms around myself, instead.

He turned around to face me, "Sorry, not sorry that your safety is all of our number one concern."

I rolled my eyes at him. "You know I'm grateful. It just gets a little redundant after a while."

"Zach, come eat." He placed a plastic Go, Diego Go! plate on the table top before turning his attention back to me once more. He put my arms on his shoulders and I laced my fingers around the back of his neck, he was just looking at me.

I could feel the heat creeping up all over my face. "Why are you staring at me?"

He rested his forehead against mine, "Because I think you're beautiful." That made my blush worse. I could feel it in my ears, and another part of me, but I was so thankful that my belly was preventing him from being that close to me. "You should go at least sit on the couch, I'll make you pancakes."

"Chocolate chip ones?"

"Chocolate chip ones." He rolled his eyes but smiled at me, kissing my forehead. "Coming right up."

I thanked him and made my way to get comfortable on the couch; it was the same kind that was in my parents basement, a wide couch with two of sections on either side.

And I stayed on it for the rest of the day, mostly with Zach cuddling me and we watched cartoons together while he told me all about his favorite parts of the different shows. It was nice to get to spend one-on-one time with him like this, even if it was brief.

I don't remember falling asleep, but I was sobbing as I woke up; I was in so much pain, an immense amount of pain that I'd never felt before. I was soaking wet. The couch underneath me almost completely drenched. My belly was rock hard, with my entire lower body feeling like it was on fire. Twisting. Burning. Stretching.

"Loran!" I screamed, but I felt like I was dying.

I yanked the blanket off, only to be laying in a puddle of my own blood.

"Loran!" I screamed again, and again and again until I could hear him running from upstairs.

"Shit!" I could hear Loran somewhere behind me.

I was out of it.

I could hear beeping, but it sounded a million miles away. I couldn't open my eyes, no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't feel my body, but the beeping was getting louder and louder until there was no beep, just a shrill sound of an alarm. And then I felt...hot, but I still couldn't move.

"...he's becoming unresponsive." Who? Me? Who was even speaking?

And then it was like the entire world hit me at once - the brightest, whitest lights over head, the alarm still screeching, and then...

I heard it.

The shrill shriek that could only be described so beautifully as a baby's first cry. My Treasure was born.