Chapter Nine

The next three days, I don’t remember much. It’s me going about my business, but all I feel is this overwhelming fear as I wait for the witch hunters to come and grab me.  

“Briana, I’ve asked you to pour me some more wine three times already!” Helena’s voice snaps me out of my thoughts, and I quickly pour her more wine.

“I’m sorry, Helena,” I quickly apologize, and get a glare from Helena as an answer. She seems to be glaring at me more than usual lately.

Someone knocks on the door, and Helena rushes to get it. I know she and Cassandra think they had the prince absolutely enchanted by Cassandra. Both of them have said countless times that they expect a marriage proposal soon.

“The Royal Family has ordered all who were at the Prince’s ball three days ago to go to the palace immediately,” I hear a voice.

“Maybe they found that witch!” Alexandra says.

“What witch?” Cassandra asks. I look at the two as they talk.

“Well, from what I heard, there was a witch that night at the ball, and she singlehandedly defeated the raid, and healed most everybody there, including the royal family,” Alexandra explains. Wait, almost everybody? I wonder.

“Almost everybody?” I find myself asking. Cassandra looks at me, rolling her eyes, but Alexandra answers.

“There were a few who died from the first gunshots that the witch couldn’t save,” Alexandra explains. I find myself feeling guilty. If only I had taken action sooner, if only I healed everybody before I froze the rebels. It’s my fault they’re dead.

“I hope they’re hanging her then,” Cassandra snaps me out of my daze.

“Why would they punish her if she saved all those people?” I blurt out. Cassandra turns towards me, her expression angry.

“All magic is outlawed. Even you know that,” Cassandra tells me. I nod, I know that. Believe me, I know what the punishment is.

Helena returns, and she looks at me.

“We are leaving right now, girls. Even you, Briana,” Helena says. I look at her, wondering why she’s bringing me. Cassandra and Alexandra hurry to their rooms to change no doubt, and Helena walks up to me, sneering in my face.

“If the witch was captured, I want you to come and watch her hang. You must know what I could do at a snap of my fingers,” Helena hisses. I nod, and Helena pushes me towards the carriage. I stumble in just as the others are ready, and we all ride towards the palace together.

Cassandra and Alexandra go on and on about what life at the palace will be like when Cassandra is queen, and Helena lets them. I just look out the window at the passing scenery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We stay in the town for a day before we are requested to attend an audience with the royal family. I realize this will be the first time I’ve seen Matthew and he seen me as Briana since I saved his life when we were in the Ruins of Evermore.

Also, he thinks I’m dead. Great.

We enter the palace, and I can’t help but to finger my nonexistent bracelet. I’ve found myself doing that out of habit.

We wait in a long line of people, before we go into the throne room. I wait outside, until the guard there speaks up.

“You have to go in too,” he says. I nod at him, and follow Helena and the twins into the crowded throne room. An aisle has been made by noblewoman and noblemen standing on either side of the room, while the King and Queen sit on a throne and Matthew stands next to them. His eyes trail over Helena, then Alexandra, then Cassandra. They finally trail towards me. I can sense his shock, his excitement, and something else I’m not sure what. He continues to stare at me, and I lower my eyes, not able to bring myself to look into his gaze.