Chapter Three - When You Gonna Let Me Out

Chapter Three

In maths I have the perfect view of the back of Tom, I admire his perfectness and drift out of reality into a dream of what could be me and Tom. He's so talented and gorgeous, I'm sure he'll never like me. Tom will never be mine. "Kimberly! What is the answer?" I hear my teacher roar. I awake from the daydream and stare desperately at the board filled with algebra. "I don't know, sir..." I mumble. "Well maybe you should listen next time, instead of daydreaming staring at Tom." Girls giggle beside me as I scan Tom's face when I realise we have eye contact, he flashes a smile at me before turning around.

I walk down the stairs to see a full English buffet, right in front of me, I can smell the bacon and eggs instantly as mum pours the beans on.

“It’s your last day here, before you go back to London so I thought I’d spoil you.”

“Aww thanks mum!” I shout my mouth now filled with toast. Daisy I hear Daisy walk into humming Heart Vacancy.

“Was it good yesterday?” Mum asks Daisy.

“Obviously! I only went and met The bloody Wanted!”  We all laugh as she scoops up some beans, “Plus, Kimberly got herself a boyfriend.” I end up choking on a bit of bacon.

“Jay’s not my boyfriend!”

“No!” She says, “I mean Tom Parker!” Mum looks up from her food confused at me.

“That name rings a bell, weren’t he in your class-“

“TOM PARKER WAS IN YOUR CLASS?!?” Daisy screams standing up from the table.

“Yeah that’s the one…” I mumbled eating.

As it’s my last day in Bolton before me and Danielle (my best friend) go back to London, we decide to spend the day back at a park we used to always go to. We sit under the shade on the grass as she puts her sunglasses on. It’s such a nice day, for September anyway.

“Hey, guess what?!” Danielle says being the bundle of energy she’s always been.

“What?” I question.

“Do you remember Tom Parker?” Obviously,  I nod, “he’s in a band who just released a single called All Time Low and they are already in the charts!”

“I know! I went to their gig last night and met him again!”

“WHAT?! TELL ALL!”

After I tell her everything and show her the texts she comes out with the question ‘do you like him?’

“No, I hate him.”

“Come on Kimberly! Give him a chance!”

“He was a complete dick remember!” I say as she sighs.

“I just thought you’d be a cute couple but you know…” She laughs. A couple? Me and Tom. Why is everyone thinking this? I laugh it off and change the conversation.   I leave the thought of Tom in the back of mind. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him. I like him. No, I hate him. I hear his chuckle as I look across the street from the park to see Tom. Shit, that can’t be him, can it? Turning around I scan Tom's face when I realise we have eye contact, he flashes a smile at me before turning around. I instantly look away, to show I’m not bothered – plus I’ve gone bright red. I look down to see a text message from say ‘Caught you blushing! Wanna go out tomorrow?xx’

‘Sorry going back to London’

“That’s where I’ll be anyway xx”

“Fine”