Chapter Seven - I Can't Even Find A Place To Start

Chapter Seven

Walking down the corridor one of Tom’s ‘friends’ strolls past purposely banging into me causing my books to fall. Tom’s standing at the back on the gang as they are oblivious to his existence. He stops to help me, I hear him sigh as they walk off without him. He picks up the majority of my books and passes them back to me. ‘Why do you hang out with them, Tom?’ He’s silent. I sigh, picking up the last book and turning around to walk away from him.

Weeks pass by and nothing in my life seems to change. I still hate Tom to the death of me, yet I still can’t stop myself kissing him. He’s getting sick of it. It’s easy to tell. Yet if he stops this whole thing then that’s fine, but it’s a part of my life now – which sound strange. If he left me now I’d be happy, yet I’d still miss kissing him. I stroll into the living room to see Danielle sitting there talking to Jay, who I had no idea was here.

“Oooo you two are so cute!” I laugh, walking into the kitchen.

“So are you and Tom!” Jay shouts back, I instantly close the door of the fringe I just opened and walked back into the living room to show Jay my facial expression. He laughs his arse off as I raise an eye brow towards him. I notice Danielle giggling beside him, despite her knowing how much I hated Tom.

“Oh Kimberly! There’s a reunion at our secondary school next week if you wanna come? Me and Tom are going?” Danielle asks excitedly.

“No.” I simply reply.

“Come on!”

“Na.”

“It will be fun! Just do it for me… Please?”

“Fine… Only for you though.”

“And a chance to see Tom.” Jay laughs before I attack him.

It’s the evening before the reunion and I couldn’t be dreading it more. With my mind filling itself with pessimistic thoughts and bad memories I decide to clear it with the fresh air of a walk. I tell Danielle I’m going out as I leave empty handed, I don’t need anything apart from myself. It’s beginning to get dark but I honestly couldn’t care less. The only thing that seems to run through my mind is Tom. I go back to year 10 and remind myself why I shouldn’t trust him, yet I remember him telling me he loved me when we met, our first kiss down the alley after fighting over stupid, stupid things, the way he bit his lip when I told him he broke my heart. I collapse onto the floor and rest my head of the back of the tree and sit there for a while as reality is taken over by dreams.

“Kimberly!” I hear a Bolton accent cry across the forest; I turn to Tom running over and sitting next me, “I knew you’d be here…”

“Why were you looking for me…?” I moaned putting my head in my hands.

“You weren’t answering your calls, Danielle finally answered and told me you were out, I knew this was your thinking space so I came here first…” He explains.

“Tom, I’m not very good company right now…”

“When are you ever good company? No Kimberly I need to speak to you now, now or never.”

“What, Tom? What do you want?” I cry.

“Kimberly…” He starts before biting his lip and looking into the distance, eventually he looks back and carries on to say, “If you want me you can have me, if you don’t then you’ve lost me. I’m sick and tired of us… Of us hating each other yet it’s obvious we love each other, or at least like each other. If I can’t have you, let me go.”

“Fine I’ll let you go.” I confirm before standing up.

“Kimberly… Are you sure?”

Obviously… You are sick and tired of us, so why not…” I say attempting to walk away before he takes my hand.

“We’re just gonna let this go? We’re just gonna forget about each other?”

“Don’t see any other way…” I mutter before running away and sobbing in my bedroom. Alone.