Chapter Six - Crying Won't Drown It Out What You Said

Chapter Six

The last lesson of the day is geography as I perch myself down on my seat I see Tom walk in, nerves taking over him. ‘Did you find your coursework Tom?’ I ask as he sits himself next to me. ‘Why would he talk to you?!’ his ‘friend’ comes out with. Tom laughs and agrees with him ‘who gives a shit about coursework, didn’t do it in the first place!’ I decide not to care and not to speak to him for the rest of the lesson. Despite getting a note passed to me from him saying ‘Sorry.’ Sorry for what? Being an asshole for the pleasure of his friends?

I wake up to see a topless Tom lay beside me as a duvet covers the rest of him. I scan the room not to recognise it leaving me to panic I scream and get up from the bed to see myself in just my knickers and bra, I scream again taking hold of the duvet wrapping it around me to see Tom in just his boxers laughing at me.

“What did we do?!” I shout at him, making him laugh more causing me to slap him in the face. This is no time to joke. I feel like a slut. And him out of everybody? “Where are we, Tom?!”

“Don’t worry we didn’t go the whole way, oh  and Nareesha told me to say you were very funny and kind – don’t know what she’s on about – she was gonna tell you herself but she could tell you were out of it.”

“Tom you aren’t explaining anything!” I scream, “Wait who’s Nareesha?” Too many questions.

“Nareesha came later at the night you were shit faced so I took you home and thought you feel more comfortable without your clothes…”

“I feel so exposed…” I moan pulling the duvet tighter around me.

“Not gonna lie, you have a smashing body.”

“That you’ll never get.” I state.

“Then why you staring at mine?” He laughs when I acknowledge what I was staring at, I turn my head away from  him as he laughs even harder.

“So we didn’t do anything… Did we?” I murmur looking out the window. I hear rustling and footsteps when suddenly Tom’s beside me.

“Nothing we just kissed, if you remember.”

“Oh God yeah I remember than far, eurgh got a banging head ache.”

“Go back to sleep…”

“Not in just my underwear!” I scream as he hands me his jumper, “Thanks…” I murmur making him turn around and put it on.

“As if I haven’t seen you already.”

“Oh shut up!” I say dropping the duvet and putting Tom’s jumper on and lying next to him. My eyes slowly close as I feel Tom put the duvet over himself beside me.

“You were really good last night…” He mumbles.  My eyes suddenly widen as I sit up.

“You said we didn’t do anything!”

“I know, I’m joking!” He laughs as I hit him again falling back to sleep.

I’m finally home at three in the afternoon to see Danielle wondering the living room with a worried expression. She suddenly sees me and smiles hugging me.

“Where the fuck have I been?” She asks.

“Eurgh don’t even start; found myself in Tom’s bed this morning…”

“What?” She screams forcing me to sit beside her on the sofa.

“I’m not a slut, Danielle I didn’t do anything!” I scream and she looks disappointed, “what?”

“I thought that would clear the air with you two?”

“What?”

“You should see yourself when you’re with him!” She laughs, “You two act like you hate each other but it’s clear you love each other.” I ignore her comment and go straight to bed, not wanting to move.

The next day I get a text from Tom telling me to come over because he needs to talk to me. What about? I decide to ignore the text, in fright of what he’s going to say. I avoid his calls throughout the day. It’s like I’m running from the truth. I haven’t got a clue what the truth is. The doorbell rings as I open the door to reveal Tom.

“Didn’t you get my texts and calls?” He asks as Danielle watches us from behind.

“Let’s walk…” I murmur closing the door behind us, “what do you want Tom?”

“Nothing it doesn’t matter…” He eventually says after a long awkward pause.

“Tom you call and text me all day long to the extent that you have to come over to see me about whatever you need to talk to me about?”

“Maybe I decided I didn’t want you to know!” He raises his voice.

“What just a second ago?”

“Why do you hate me, Kimberly?”

“Why did you do that to me, Tom?” I raise my voice to the level of his.

“I was 15 at the time, I didn’t know what I was doing?”

“You broke my heart!” I cry as I find myself staring at him biting his bottom lip, I can’t help but have the urge to kiss him.

“How do you think I felt in all this, it broke my heart too!”

“Well maybe I never got over it!”

“Maybe I didn’t either!” He shouts back as I can’t hold the temptation and push his back on a wide tree. He twists me onto the tree as I play with his hair, we break apart.

“What are we doing, Kimberly…” He sighs our noses touching and his hand leaning on the tree, staring into my eyes.

“I don’t know… I don’t want too… But a tiny part of me wants too…” I sigh.

“Why don’t we just date, you giving me a head ache Kimberly…”

“I can’t let myself…” I sigh as tears blur my vision.