«The Glass»

«Quoting Nolan»

-Chapter Eight» The Glass-

Nolan throws his head back and laughs loudly. The sunlight that is slowly and finally returning to St.Tide since the storm is making its way back and it's barely heated but still warm enough rays hit his cheeks whilst he does so.

"Why are you laughing?!" Austen questions amusedly, a bright grin on her lips.

Her hair was back again today, many curly strands of hair falling out of her creative contraption to frame her pale face. She raises an eyebrow at him and Nolan cannot help but think to himself how adorable she looks doing that. He shakes his head mentally, clearing those thoughts quickly before he was dumb enough to voice them aloud.

Yet again, chuckles rumble in his stomach and laughter begins to bubble out of his mouth. He clutches his stomach and falls back onto the grass as he gasps for oxygen, finding the situation far too hilarious not to laugh at.

Nolan and Austen had met up the day after Austen's little 'incident', neither of them speaking of what it was about. As much as Nolan wanted to know what had troubled her enough to call him in the state she was, he wasn't willing to risk what they had -or were creating- by pushing to her to tell him. He was content with not knowing if it meant her sticking around.

It was currently five days since they first met face to face and Nolan thought it was safe to say that they were growing quite close. It was 1:16 pm and they were sat in the local towns park, eating ice cream which was sure enough only going to make them colder in the chilly-not quite warm enough yet-weather.

Both of them had been hanging out and meeting up everyday since their first day. And each day that has gone by, Nolan can feel himself falling even more. Not that he could ever admit it to anyone, but he had officially tripped and brutally collapsed head over heals for Austen O'James. Heck, he knew he liked her the moment he saw her at the library. It had actually taken months of observing and courage pursuing to even write her that note. He chuckled to that as well as the fact that a tall official looking business man, clad in a very expensive looking suit, hair slicked back and face clean shaved had just ultimately walked into a dustbin. Not literally resulting in falling in one, but the tap-like dance the man attempted to keep his balance with was too funny to pass up and so Nolan took the opportunity to laugh once the man left looking flustered and embarrassed as well as pained. Whereas Austen could do nothing but inhale second hand embarrassment for the poor guy.

"It was so obvious that bin was there. I just can't believe he didn't see it!" Nolan chuckled again, closing his eyes and falling back onto the grass once again after sitting up to point at the crime scene.

He heard Austen sigh beside him, but he kept his eyes closed as he tried to steady his breathing again and not laugh.

Nolan chuckled again to himself involuntarily. He just couldn't help it, that man was so clueless it was-

Nolan paused everything. Thinking. Chuckling. Breathing. Moving. He just stayed still, shocked and confused as he felt a thick substance ooze down his face. Sitting up slowly, he opened his eyes just as something fell from his nose. A crumpled ice cream cone now sat in his lap and creamy vanilla Mr.Whippy ice cream splattered his nose and cheeks. What the-

Nolan looked up to Austen. Spying her empty hands covered in ice cream, a guilty yet amused look on her face.

Slowly Nolan's lips rose into a smirk as he watched her flinch beneath his gaze. "Did you just-"

His beanie was ripped off his head quickly and thrown aside into the grass. "W-wh.."

"Prefer you without the beanie." Austen said nonchalantly.