Ch. 7

Peter was terrified.  He followed Ned through the halls, clutching his new textbooks to his chest.  They had picked them up at the front doors and given their locker number and code.  Peter's locker was right next to Ned's—thank goodness—and across the hall from Michelle's.  He was now following Ned numbly down the halls, trying not to get in anyone's way so they couldn't get upset with him.  When Ned stopped in front of a locker and started twisting his lock, Peter turned to the one in front of him and did the same.  His code didn't work, though, and so he tried again.  It still didn't work.  He was about to try again when someone slammed their hand against the locker right above Peter's head.  He jumped and spun around to face the person.

"This is my locker, kid,"  an older boy said.  Peter gulped and nodded quickly.  He bumped into Ned in his hurry to move and quickly apologised to both people.  The older boy rolled his eyes and quickly spun the code on his locker.  The door flew open and Peter felt like crying.

"Hey, man,"  Ned said.  He pointed to the locker on the other side of his.  "This one's yours."  Peter nodded and shakily spun his code.  His locker opened and he quickly shoved his books in.  "You'll need your Algebra book first period and you should probably keep English, too."  Peter nodded and grabbed those two books again.  He shut his locker and turned to Ned.  "Let's go find homeroom,"  Ned said.  Peter nodded and silently followed Ned down the halls, avoiding eye contact and trying not to bump into anyone.

"Hey, losers,"  Michelle said, walking beside Peter.  She frowned when she noticed how nervous Peter looked.  "You good?"  she asked, elbowing him gently.  Peter nodded quickly, but Michelle didn't believe him.  She glanced at Ned who was on his other side.

"He had a run in with Steven,"  Ned explained.  Michelle nodded in understanding then looked back at Peter.

"Just ignore him,"  she told him.  "He's just an annoying jock who flunked last year and has to retake senior year."

"I'm not sure I want to do this, guys,"  Peter said, stopping in the doorway of homeroom.  Michelle rolled her eyes and pushed Peter into the room.  He stumbled in and awkwardly made his way towards the back of the room.  Another kid scoffed at his stumble and Michelle glared at him hard enough to shut him up.

"Don't mind Flash, either,"  Michelle instructed, taking the seat behind Peter.  "He's all bark and no bite.  Weak and just a wannabe jock."

"Who's your boyfriend?"  Flash called across the room at Michelle.  She just rolled her eyes and opened a book.  "Fred, how was summer?  Did you donate fat to those in need?  It doesn't look like it."  Ned looked down at his desk but said nothing.  "Might want to work on your charity donations."  Flash smirked but didn't say anything else.  Peter looked back at Ned who just shrugged.

"Does he bully you?"  Peter asked.  Ned shrugged then nodded.

"It's alright, though,"  Ned assured him.  "I don't mind."  Peter rolled his eyes.

"Well I mind!"  he exclaimed.  He turned back around to face Flash with a brave look.  Flash raised his eyebrows at Peter, but Peter's resolve didn't break.  "Hey, that's my cousin you're talking to.  Be nice."

"What are you?  Home schooled kid that's never been to school before?"  Flash scoffed.  Peter couldn't think of anything to say back quick enough and Flash grinned.  "You are.  Fresh meat."

"I'm not fresh meat and neither is Ned!"  Peter said boldly.  "Leave him alone or—"

"Or what?  You'll sick your daddy on me?"  Flash teased.  Peter fumed.  "What's your name, new guy?"

"Peter S-Parker,"  Peter said, barely correcting himself in time.

"Well Penis Sparker, I suggest you shut your mouth before I hurt you,"  Flash said.  Before Peter could correct him on his name and give Flash a piece of his mind, the bell rang.  Peter jumped, not having expected that and Flash laughed loudly.  Peter turned away from Flash and turned to face Ned, his face bright red.  Ned looked embarrassed for him.

"Sorry, man,"  Ned said.  Peter looked confused as to why Ned was apologising, so he explained.  "Flash isn't gonna leave you alone now."

"It's worth it,"  Peter shrugged.  "Just as long as he leaves you alone."  Ned sighed and gave him a hopeless smile.  They both turned forward in their seats when the teacher called for their attention and began calling roll.  Peter almost didn't respond when she called his name, not remembering he was Peter Parker and not Peter Stark now.  When he did call out 'here', he interrupted the teacher and pushed his desk forward on accident.  Some kids snickered and Peter felt his face heat up.  They all turned around abruptly, looking nervous and Peter wondered why.  When he turned around, he saw Michelle glaring something that could rival his mom's glare at each kid that had laughed at Peter.  He smiled to himself, glad to know Michelle had his back.  He muttered a thank you to Michelle and she just waved him off, opening her book back up and ignoring the teacher. 

Peter listened intently as their homeroom teacher, Mr. Hanley explained how the year was going to go.  The other kids seemed to tune him out, but Peter hung on every word.  He wanted to know just what to expect and wrote down tips Mr. Hanley gave out.  He was a small, frail old man that was shorter than Peter, but Peter gave him all his respect.  He knew that just because someone was small didn't mean they didn't have good things to say.  By the time the bell rang, he had a half page of tips.  Ned gave him a look that made him think he had done something wrong, but he just shrugged and shoved his notes in his backpack.  Ned was sure to be coming to him for Mr. Hanley's tips once he realised how cool Peter was, knowing how everything worked and just what to expect.  Unfortunately, that's not quite what happened.