Admired From a Distance

Cole X Maryssa

Cole's POV

"Hey, Kai, could you fetch me that cutting board please?"

Cole grits his teeth he hears Maryssa asks the innocent question. She should be asking him for help, not Kai! He peers around the corner in the kitchen and sees the spiky-haired ninja grab the bamboo cutting board from the top shelf in one of the cupboard.

"This one?"

"Yup, thanks!" Maryssa chirps, beaming. "You're a great help!"

She takes the cutting board from Kai, and their fingers touch briefly, much to Cole's displeasure. He lets out a quiet growl.

"No problem," Kai responds, giving her a flirtatious wink, which makes Maryssa's cheeks go pink. "Anything to help out a pretty cook like you."

Cole scoffs at the flattery.

"Seriously," he mutters. "Quit flirting with her."

He continues to watch them in the kitchen. He narrows his dark brown eyes as she hands Kai an onion and instructs him to finely chop it. Cole smirks as a look of confusion crosses the fire ninja's face when he tries to chop the onion...with the wrong side of the blade.

"Hang on, that's upside down, you dork," Maryssa says, coming up close behind him to help him hold the knife the correct way. "Let me help you with that."

Maryssa puts her hand on top of Kai's, guiding him as he manages to roughly chop the onion, and the earth ninja clenches his fist, feeling beyond irritated at the hand-to-hand contact between Maryssa and Kai, even if she is just trying to help him chop the onion or hold the knife correctly.

"What if Zane accidentally froze our hands together?" Kai teases, smirking. "We'd be stuck together..."

Cole lets out another growl as Kai turns around and caresses Maryssa's face with his free hand.

"Forever..." Kai finishes.

Maryssa titters and steps back, creating space between them.

"Come on, Kai, we both know Zane would never do that to us."

Kai looks a bit flustered, and he turns back to the onion to finish chopping it. Cole watches in satisfaction as Maryssa walks back over to the stovetop, and adds a few spices to the broth in the big soup pot.

Take that, Hothead!

--Later--

Maryssa's POV

"Hey, Maryssa, could you be my sparring partner today?"

The brunette looks up from her punching bag, which has taken a significant beating, to see Jay standing in the doorway of the training room. Maryssa throws one last punch at the punching bag, breaking the chains holding it up. It falls to the floor with a heavy 'thud,' and Jay stares at it in surprise. She smiles innocently, towels off her face, and re-tapes her knuckles. The brunette grabs her water canteen and approaches the lightning ninja.

"Sure," she responds. "I could always use a challenge."

Maryssa sets her water canteen on a nearby stool and walks to the center of the room, Jay following suit. She could feel his blue eyes looking her up and down, sizing up his opponent...and admiring her figure. Her training outfit consists of a magenta Nike® sports bra and black mid-thigh shorts, which shows off her toned body. Her brown hair is pulled into a high ponytail, a few stray flyaways framing her face.

"Are you just going to stand there gawking at me all morning, or are we going to fight?" Maryssa teases, a smirk making its way onto her face.

She sends a blunt wind gust in the blue ninja's direction. It hits him in the stomach with a thwack!