Chapter Twenty Eight!

Jessabelle awakened to the smell of bacon and pancakes. Panicked, she got up and snuck down the stairs. Her mom was hovering over the stove, slaving over the heat as she prepared breakfast. Beads of sweat trickled down her forehead as she cooked. The hot Vegas weather mixed with the heat from the stove didn’t make it any less hard for anyone to have a heat stroke.

“Mom, what are you doing?” she asks, surprised to even see her out of the center. “I asked for a day off to come home and spend your last days with you.” She smiles. Jessabelle smiles back and rushes over to help.

Her mother had never done anything like that before and she wasn’t used to the motherly affection she was showing towards her. They actually laughed instead of fought. The house was no longer stained of the gagging stench of booze. Jessabelle found herself actually having fun with her mom. She told her all about the band, Jecilia, her work – in more detail than the last time they met. She explained to her what Brendon had done lastly.

“Oh, darling. We all make mistakes. Forgive the boy and listen to what he has to say, alright. You’re going to regret holding this against him.” she warns. Jessabelle hugs her mom.

That day was truly one to remember, maybe the only good thing about this entire thing. She wished her mother was always like this… she wished she’d felt the love she was feeling right there all her life when she was living with her mother.

Julie takes her daughters hand and leads her to the living room. “Jessabelle,” she starts, her eyes not meeting hers. Jessabelle gets nervous. “Yes, mom?” she asks. “I had an amazing time with you today and I wish I would have turned to you instead of alcohol, but we can’t change that now. I want to apologize for abandoning you when you needed me the most. I drove you out of our home. I just want you to know that I love you and I always will, sweetie.” She hugs her daughter. Jessabelle absorbs the love her mother was giving her like a dry sponge being brought back to life.

“Now, go up to your room. You have an early flight tomorrow.” she smiles. Jessabelle tiredly drags herself up to her room and throws herself on the bed.

That night she could hardly get enough sleep. Her thoughts were becoming a huge burden. You would think everything that was going on would drain her of every ounce of energy she had, but it only kept her awake.

When she does fall asleep, her life clouds her dreams. Everything that’s happened: since the day her mother turned to booze, the day Jordan left her, even to her first kiss with Brendon. That sweet moment will forever make her lips tingle and her backbone quiver.

Jessabelle awakened that morning with her cheeks stained with the tears she made over night. What the hell am I doing? She had to ask herself.