Vegetarian Breakfast Recipe

Here is a healthy and delicious breakfast idea and a drink idea:

3-Cheese Frittata Cups

Makes 12

Cooking spray
12 large eggs
3/4 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cooking spray.

Place the eggs, ricotta, milk, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until the eggs are completely incorporated. Pour into the muffin wells, filling each 1/2 to 3/4 full. Sprinkle the Fontina cheese and chives evenly over the eggs.

Bake until the frittata cups are puffed and the edges are light golden-brown in color, 18 to 20 minutes. (The center should be just set and register at least 160°F.) Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Run a butter knife around each cup to the loosen the frittatas before removing them from the pan. Serve warm or cool completely on a wire rack before refrigerating or freezing.

Recipe Notes

Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days or cool to room temperature then freeze on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer zip-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months.

Bite-sized frittatas: Use a mini muffin tin to make bite-sized frittata cups. Reduce the bake time to 10 to 12 minutes.

Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie

Makes 1 smoothie

1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries¾ cup  nonfat or non-dairy milk1 tsp   butter extract
 Add all of the ingredients to a blender in the order that they're listed, and pulse until smooth. Serve and drink immediately. Notes: Any milk will work! 1%, 2%, almond, soy, coconut... Just use whatever you already have in your refrigerator.

If you don't have butter extract, substitute vanilla extract instead. It won't taste quite the same, but it'll still impart some of the shortcake flavor.

{gluten-free, vegan, clean eating, low fat, low calorie}