13

It was a Thursday night ruined as Lucas sat at the dining table with his pancakes and maple syrup along with Fitz, Toby, Creamy and Eli. That was the night that everything had gone completely to shit, and there was no saving it.

It started with a knock on the door. Not that any of them could see, but it was Tyler and his friend Craig with the red Converse to hand. Lucas' mother, who had answered the door frowned. The men had been knocking on doors in the local neighbourhood to return the shoe to the owner, which she found ridiculous until she looked at the sole of the shoe inside, because she always embroided a symbol onto her son's shoes, and it was there.

"Yes, this is my son's. His name is Lucas. I'm so sorry! You know high schoolers can be clumsy sometimes," his mother apologised with a smile.

At that moment, silence passed and the two men looked at each other with confused expressions, as that couldn't be right - but how would they bring that up in front of his mother.

"Oh, he's in high school?" Craig wondered, acting as if he wanted to make general conversation.

A nervous Tyler felt an unsettling feeling in his stomach as he thought about what was going on. Not that he wanted to judge his friend, but he couldn't help it.

"Yes, he's seventeen, and very silly mind you to forget one of his shoes," his mother commented with an eye roll.

Lucas wondered what was taking his mother so long, but by the time he was about to get up and investigate, his mother wandered into the kitchen with the one shoe in his collection that he was missing. His jaw dropped and his reaction was so, so noticeable. Luckily, his mother didn't question why. Fitz choked on his food a little, as he and the others had been aware of the modern day Cinderella plan because Toby's mutual friend, Jay had told them about it.

"Honey, what are you doing running around with one shoe at a barbecue?" his mother asked him, her expression forming a baffled one, even though it was a silly question, she couldn't understand.

What made things worse was that his dad, for once, decided to entertain his smom's madness.

"Yeah son, how did you get home?" he questioned him seriously, genuinely concerned.

Thankfully, they were distracted by Jay finishing his food quickly. His mother offered to fill his plate, which Lucas shook his head at. His parents seemed to have forgotten for the time being. However, his dad was still at the table. Lucas' leg was shaking, and Jay complained openly.

"Aren't those your friends, John?" his mother assumed with a smile, and that worried Lucas because perhaps his mother was more observant than he thought.

Obviously, if would have been odd for him to deny it, considering one way or another, everyone had known each other through at least one person at that barbecue - it was a small town. Fuck, Lucas thought. Thankfully, his dad stepped in.

"John isn't his name," he pointed out, taking a bite out of his pancakes, looking smug in correcting her.

Frowning, his mother put Jay's pancakes to the side and crossed her arms in her frustration.

"Then what is it?" she challenged him.

Unfortunately for all of them, she did challenge him, and his dad turned around in his seat and raised his eyebrows at her. Uh-oh, Lucas thought. His mother hated that.

"It's just what everyone calls him," his dad commented.

In response, his mother scoffed and did some strange hand movements to imitate her mind blowing. The hand moments were usually a good time for Lucas to leave, and he was thinking of doing so until he saw Gabriel tapping on the patio door. Fitz, being the idiot that he was, signalled for the cat to come inside. There was a small enough gap for it to get through. His parents were so into their debate that they didn't notice the demon creature sneak inside and crawl underneath the table to Fitz. Lucas could feel a tail brushing against his leg.