38) Russian Imperial Family

AN: The music of this chapter REALLY adds to these scenes. So if you generally skip the music, I highly suggest at leastlistening to the last 4 songs while reading! It's going to get you jazzed for all the crazy drop-offs this story is about to take! Hold on to the wild roller-coaster ride!

Music for this chapter (on repeat): Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye by Julie London, You and Me by Lifehouse, Protectors of the Earth (choir) byTwo Steps from Hell, Myth, Power, Beauty by Nick Glennie- Smith from the Secretariat Soundtrack, PM's Love Theme by Craig Armstrong from the Love Actually Soundtrack, A Storm is Coming by Hans Zimmer from The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack.

THIRTY-EIGHT

o

*Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye*

"I hate this." Jack grumbled as he finished fastening Lena's car seat into the back of the car that was taking she and Irina to the airport. Eight days without them was going to be hell and he knew it.

Sydney had promised Irina to keep her father occupied and busy, eating dinner with him a few nights while she was absent and making him get out of the house.

"I don't like it either." Irina sighed, from under the protection of the umbrella shielding them from the pouring rain.
"I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you, too. Both of you." He brushed her hair behind her ear as he stood beneath the protective canopy with her. "I don't think I'll sleep at all without you in my arms. I've grown to accustomed to it now." He smiled softly.

"Me too. I promise I'll call you every night before I go to sleep, and you call me." She ran her hand over his cheek and he caught it, kissing her palm and holding it against his face again. "I love you."

"I love you." He smiled into her beautiful brown eyes and leaned in to kiss her softly. "Please be careful."

"I promise and I'm sure everything will be fine with the massive security detail following my every move." She smiled brightly, laughing softly. "We'll be back before you know it!" She kissed him again, threading her fingers through her hair, only stopping with the pressing need for air. "Bye..." She smiled softly and ducked into the car.

"I'll be damned. Jack, did you see this?" Kendall tossed the magazine he'd just pulled out of the briefing mail across the table. FORTUNE magazine featured Irina on the cover with bold titles that read, 'Russia's Secret Savior' an exclusive, 'Business as usual for The Romanov, closing a $400 Billion dollar oil deal for Russia with Japan.'

Jack picked up the magazine and felt his heartstrings tug seeing his wife that he missed so much.

"No, I hadn't seen it but she told me about it the other night when she called. She's been working on it for quite some time." He smiled, proud of Irina for closing the single largest deal in Russian history. "Do you remember that first night I called you from St. Petersburg, just after we found her?" Jack looked over at Kendall, then to Dixon who was also in the room.

"Yeah, I remember." Kendall nodded, continuing to go through the mail.

"She was on the phone that night with the Prime Minister of Japan discussing this even back then." Jack laughed softly and handed the magazine to Dixon who wanted to see it.