Chapter 13: Distance

~~

Waking up, Leon was surprised by the lack of nausea and pain? It was clean and clear. Muscles felt off, his mind a little ragged, but overall he felt far better than before.

The question was though, for how long was he out? He had forgotten to ask that upon his first wake.

Best to figure it out now... Or so he planned.

Rising from his bed, Squall looked around the room only to see darkness. The outside city lights, with their odd blue color, streamed through by slightly parted blinds, barely lighting the room at all. Two youths are seen as bundles in one bed, both fitted snug to one another.

Normal, yet something was off?

Getting up, The brunet walked toward them and saw Marlene hugging Denzel, the boy holding tightly to the covers as his body quivered.

Watching him with pity, Squall strolled around and mumbled a spell, his hand brushing the bruise mark on Denzel's forehead as his spell transferred to the kid and the shaking stopped.

Feeling relief at the sight of the chestnut-haired boy relaxing, Squall witnessed Marlene soften her hold... The two would always be there for each other, he hoped. The sight reminded him of his sister, back in the orphanage, before she left. That last bit of information didn't need to come by, shouldn't have... But it did, and he now had to bury it deep once more.

Frown re-settling Squall made his way towards the window, fingers fitting between the grey blinds to part them. More of that bazar moon blue light filtered through, blinding Leonhart for just a second as his mind was still affected by the damage done to it prior.

Adjusted, eyes flickered back open grey-blues looking out and towards the streets. All was normal, the roads empty, the city dead. The way the land was and this city, the run down and dark nature. It reminded him of his first home. Dark, abandoned. Filled with a false hope that others already knew was pointless.

Again, with past and dark memories. Maybe there were good ones at one point. Maybe, and just maybe that is what he had to trade for this power, these guardian summons. Yet he held no regret. Not for having them. If anything, they always stood by his side, crossed dimensions even and helped him win each and every fight. It was they who stood beside him... Even if they stole memories and could one day leave him with nothing... At least they would still be here. Not like anyone else was.

Shaking his head, Squall was just about to remove himself when he saw a flicker of white. Stopping, he looked back to see a single white feather, fluttering about in the air.

Gliding slowly with no rhythm but it's own, it stopped right outside of the window seal, softly landing with no more than a hushed breath.

Sterling-silver watched questionably, the brunet unsure of how to handle this odd site. Noting that it was not going to suddenly combust or disburse, strong hands pulled at the strings of the blinds and rolled them up halfway. With room for the actual window now, he pulled at the bottom and raised it only a few inches. Enough space made for a single hand, Squall reached inside his fingers graced by the soft and fluffy object.

Tilting his head, the brunet brushed his hand over the large feather again before catching it between two fingers and pulling it in. Fliping it between his hand, he watched the out of place object with keen interest. It was far too big to be a bird's, too small to be of any creature he has faced. The color too seemed surreal, as if it glowed?

Magic flashed against his fingertips and the lean male flinched, feeling it spread. White was tainted black, a sharp pain running through his veins, spiking every intersection of joints during its course.