Chapter 19: Pushed too far

~~

Grey eyes scanned their surroundings with a mix of utmost curiosity and cautions.

He had never been here before, but it seemed Seifer might have considering how well the directions he gave worked. He somewhat wondered if this might have been the location the older knight fell in?

The blue streams started to glow then, green like lights flickering almost like light bugs. His head sharply turned to it, more alert than ever over what could have caused that. It could be any many of things, dangerous, alive.

He overheard something about the lifestream and vaguely thought to piece the two together as he watched the golden light within the small running waters. Then he noticed. It was pulsing and towards the north? The light flashing brighter each pulse as if wanting to lead him somewhere. Something else struck him as the mark around his throat and ankle slightly itched, begging to be scratched.

Anxiety boiled within the pit in his gut, something telling him to pull back. Even his guardians shuffled uncomfortably.

Shiva, (My lion, maybe we should wait for the others? Turn back?)

Squall shook his head. "They took Merlene. I can't just leave her. If I wait and something happens... If I can stall them or at least monitor till the others make it. It would help them. I won't charge in recklessly. I'm no fool."

The Gf's now silent, Leonhart sighed and looked down to the pulsing stream once again. It was definitely alive... And if he was to guess, it would probably lead him to Kaidaj and the kids.

He was going to regret this...

Following the given path, Leonhart still kept a distance between himself and the stream. He was going to follow it, but he also needed to remain hidden, staying close to the oddly colored trees? If he could call them that.

A good couple miles in, it was sudden when he heard a loud voice, booming in all directions. Quickly, he moved to press bodily against the large rock nearby and somewhat in the stream. Up to his ankles got soaked and he cringed at his haste move.

"Mother has given me a special gift!"

That voice...

"The power to fight... Against a planet that torments humanity. She gave this gift to all her children!"

That was indeed Kaidaj, the loony trio no doubt with him. Squall sighed as he realized he made it in time for their "Villain" speech... Now he wished he did turn back.

He heard the man continue his speech about being brothers and sisters, mother repeated in a never-ending echo. Stealing a glance, he came to the realization that he was actually pretty far still. A little too far, so he moved to get closer.

Kaidaj, "but... The planet doesn't approve of that at all!" He continued as Leonhart made his way. "It's doing everything it can to hold us back. That's why it's racking our bodies with pain and filling our hearts with doubt! Now, I shall heal you-"

Ok, Squall's heard enough of the loon. That was enough. It was annoying and just. Remembering he had a mark too... It made him extremely uncomfortable.

Peaking at the group again, he noticed a small form between them...

Marlene... They were holding her far too close to them, he had no chance of getting her back yet. So, simply watching seemed to be the only option for now.

Then the girl jerked forward, her shout cut in half. Her eyes looked panicked and confused and it made Leonhart wonder?

Moving further from the spot, he made sure to stay hidden from the trio's sight as he peeked into the stream. There was so many kids! Too many, why? Then he saw him... Denzel. He was amongst them, gazing at the water.