7: Brawl

Dim and the man look at you. She looks nervous, but the man seems a bit unsure of you.

"How do you know that?"

You don't answer. You just remain still, trying to pinpoint the feeling. You're not sure how you know it. The ground beneath your feet seems to be speaking to you. It says that something it coming near you. Something big. Something angry.

"(Y/ N)?" Dim asks. "What's coming?"

"I'm not sure," you respond, "but we need to go."

She nods, taking the rest of the supplies and stuffing them into the bag. The two of you move out of the hut when the ground suddenly jumps. A scream echoes from the other side of the town, followed by wet ripping sounds.

"W-What is that?"

"It can't be..." The man is standing behind you. "The town is outside of the Dirt Lurker territory. Why would they come here?"

Over the crowd, you can see the two heads sitting on the ends of the arms. The monster searches through the crowd, pushing people over with its gross hand legs. The people around it scatter, screaming at it grabs at them with its teeth, tearing at their skin.

You look back at Dim. She looks at it fearfully, but not at the same debilitating level at before. She grabs onto your shirt, holding you close.

"Don't worry... I'm here. It won't..."

Before you can finish, another noise comes from the other end of town. You glance over to see another Dirt Lurker crawling over the scrap metal wall. It sniffed at the air, moaning as it crawled into the town.

"Why are they coming here?! This doesn't make any sense!" the man mumbles, moving back into his shop.

"(Y/N)... you have to stop those things... They'll kill everyone..."

"Okay. Stay here for now. I'll be back."

She nods, stepping back to stand next to the cowering man. He looks at you, frightened and confused as you walk out into the now empty town. Everyone around has gone and hid in the buildings. Spots of blood covered the ground and walls around you. You can see a few stay body parts hiding behind a building, dripping red fluid. A few eyes peak out from the windows at you as you come to stand in the middle of the clearing.

"Come on, you ugly..."

A scuttling noise comes from behind you. One of the Dirt Lurkers climbed up over the shop and looked at you with all six of its bloodshot eyes. The two heads yelled in anger at you, chomping at the air like hungry dogs. It charged at you, kicking up dust as the four hands pounded the earth.

You can't use your lasers. The buildings are too close together. You can't control the strength of reach of the beam, and you don't want to blow off the tops of any houses. You figure you should stick to close combat. The monster charges and swings one of its heads at you in a wide arch. You duck out of the way, standing beneath its heavy body.

It raises one of its legs, curling the hand into a first to strike at you. The fire burning in your chest commands you body to move. You reach up and touch the bottom of the creature, sending a pulse of energy out through your finger tip. The monster shutters and starts to dissolve like old rock, turning into a white sand. It vanished like a mirage, nothing but but dust in the wind.

Another unearthly roar comes from behind you as the second beast comes charging at you. The fire continues to burn. You can feel everything around you start to harden. The air grows thick like concrete waiting to dry. You can feel it moving, and you can feel how to move it. Raising you hand, you wait for the monster to come in closer to strike. Just before it hits you, you through your hand down. The space between the air crushes down on the beast, smashing it flat on the ground. It's green and grey blood leaks out from the squished monster. The threat is over.

You feel the fire go out inside you. You turn to go back when Dim crushes you in a one armed hug, crying slightly.

"You did it!" she exclaims happily.

The people around you start to come out from their hiding places. The man from the store moves out timidly towards you in awe.

"H-How did you do that?"

"It's nothing I hadn't done before," you say simply.

"Before... Wait, did you kill one before this?" he asks, slightly horrified.

"I blasted one with laser eyes... Why?"

"Oh no... that's why they attacked... You killed one of them, and they came to avenge it. They killed people... looking for you! You brought them here!"

The people start to clamor among themselves, listening to the man as he talked.

"They wouldn't have died if you hadn't have killed it... They wouldn't have died if you'd never come here! And now that you've killed two more, they'll be even more of a threat!"

Dim clings to you as an angry mob forms, surrounding the two of you. You can feel their rage building up as the man verbally attacks you. It isn't safe in the unnamed town anymore. People are yelling, telling you to get out and never return. You can feel the fire return slightly as the situation grows dangerous. Your eyes go wide and you grab Dim as the space around you starts to shimmer and warp. You blink once and you don't see the mob anymore. You don't see anything accept a wall.

"What... was that?" Dim asks, stunned.

You look up. In front of you is the outside wall of the town. Faster than you or her could see, you moved outside, away from the angry and frightened crowd.

"I don't know... Come on, we should leave while they don't know either."

She nods, releasing her grip on your arm. You hold onto the bag and start to walk quickly away from the town, wondering if you would ever run into any more of those disgusting Dirt Lurkers.