23: Tower

The tower looms over you. It casts a dark shadow over you and Dim, staring down with an ominous gaze. Five black bands, similar to the ones on your arm. It's unmoving shape stands out from the entire canyon. Everything seems funneled towards it, likes it's at the center of the world. You go up the steps, cracking a small smile. You can remember the tower. Everything makes sense. Dim walks behind, marveling at the behemoth.

"It's huge... Are you okay?"

"Never better."

Dim frowns, unsure of your reaction. You've changed. You're like a different person all together. You're stride is stronger and talk clearer. It's an interesting change. A fascinating one.

You both move in, coming to the base of the tower. Dim looks around, searching around the broken rocks and dead plants. There's nothing on it. No doors or windows. It's clear that it's the front of the tower, but there's no way in.

"What is this?"

"The tower," you respond.

"But there's no way in..."

"I know. That's the way I built it. Only I can get inside."

"You built it? What? But this place is... old..."

"I know," you say, looking back at her with a warm, comforting smile. "I'll open it up."

There's two circles on the wall. Two powers needed. You place your hand on the wall, pushing into it. The second and third rings on your wrist glow. Energy flows from your fire and into the wall. The stone structure becomes shaky and thin, splitting apart like curtains. Dim can see inside past you. There's nothing. It's an empty black void. After a moment, the darkness changes, turning into real things. The space inside expands out and solidifies. Another set of stairs leads up into the tower.

"What was that?" Dim asks.

"I opened the door, and brought the inside of the tower here. Come on, there's still more to open."

She follows you up into the tower. There still aren't any windows, but there's light. Everything is moving and remaining still at the same time. It's unsettling. She doesn't want to look at it. Dim closes her eyes, but opens them when you take her hand.

"There's no need to be afraid. I'm here. I'll keep you safe."

She blushes, unable to react. You're powerful, and now your personality is growing to match it. You glow with confidence. It's a lot different from when you first met.

After a while of stairs, you come up on another level section. An old machine sits on a platform. Or rather, what's left of it. It's broken down, falling apart in several places. Rust covers it and the parts inside are exposed and busted. Decayed wires run along the floor to a large metal door on the other side of the area, closed shut. Two more rings are painted on the wall.

"What's that?" Dim asks.

"A generator, but it's been dead for a very long time. One moment."

You raise your hand once again. The first and fourth rings glow, and a shimmering light appears over the broken machine. It's parts are bathed in a blue and green aura. It shakes and begins to move, cracking back into place. The pieces on the ground float up, moving back into where they fit in. It shifts back into their normal places, moving in reverse.

"Woah..."

Soon the machine is good as new. The pieces are back in place and the rust is gone. You place your hand on the mechanism on top and push a wave of energy through the wires. The cords on the floor glow as electricity moved into the door, turning it on. The metal panels slide open, revealing the next length of the path.