19: Eyes

The ground is worse in the mountains than down in the wasteland. It's rough and broken, jagged after being drained of all life. The pull of whatever sucked out the energy was much stronger than anything else you've seen. The air is thin and a thick mist hangs around you. It doesn't help that you have to walk through an extremely narrow passageway between two large cliff faces. Dim walks slowly in front of you, making sure to head down the right path as the walkway twists and turns.

You'd spent you first day away from the village traveling in the direction on the mountains. As you both walked, you only managed to catch glimpses of the massive Lurker crawling through the peaks. Each time you did, it looked bigger and more grotesque. You had the strange feeling that it was watching you. After a quick camp beneath an old rotting tree and small bout with a random Bone Lurker that ended with it running away, it was time to enter the mountain.

Dim grips your hand as you make your way deeper into the wide mountains. The feeling of her slightly warm skin on yours makes the trip a little bit easier. Low rumbling noises echo around you, making her pull you in a little closer.

"Was that the Mountain Lurker?" you ask.

"Yes... I don't know where it came from though..."

You sigh, wishing it was a little easier to see. The fog around you feels toxic. If you were normal, you might find it hard to breathe. Dim seems accustomed to it. A split in the path forms up ahead. Peering down at the map as you hold it out for her to see, you take the left path.

"How old are these maps?"

"I'm not sure. Some are copies of one from a long time ago, but since there's no one in charge of anything, they've never been updated."

"So I guess there's no telling how accurate they are. I hope we won't be traveling in circles."

The ground shakes again. Pebbles by your feet tremble. The most seems thicker than it was before. Dim stops up at another intersection, looking to see where the map leads. You don't feel that well, like something is pulling on your energy. Everything feels stretched. The fog grows thicker with each passing second. Suddenly you feel it. A blackness staring into your soul. You drop the map.

"(Y/N)? What-"

You don't give Dim a chance to finish. Raising your hands, you push power into the palms, making them shimmer with light. In one swift motion, you clap, sending a shockwave across the peaks. It blows the mist away, allowing you to see clearly around you. And above you.

A dark shadow is cast over your head, engulfing your body like night. You spin around and stare up. Above you sits the massive monster, clinging to the large boulders as it stares down into you. From back in the wasteland, you could only see the eyes at the front of its body where the were the largest. It entire long figure is covered in eyes, blinking and looking around in several different directions at once. It lowers itself towards you menacingly.

"Dim, get out of here! I'll hold it off and catch up!"

"Be careful!"

She turns and starts to run down the path with the map in her hands. You turn your attention back to the beast just in time to see a giant four fingered hand come at you. It grabs you like a rag doll, lifting you high into the air towards it sick body.

You can see something pouring out from it like steam. The thick fog rolls out from its back, pooling on the ground below. You wonder why you didn't sense it when it was near before hand. You realize that it was too big. You didn't sense it because there was nothing else you could feel. It was taking up your entire mind and you had no idea.