VISITORS AT NIGHT

A knock on the door made me jump out of my seat

A knock on the door made me jump out of my seat. I glanced at the clock. It was 2 am and pitch dark outside. It's not the time when you generally expect a visitor.

The knock sounded again.
Sweat broke out on my forehead.

I grabbed my pistol from the counter next to me and moved out of my laboratory, careful not to make a sound.

I peered through the eyehole. There was a figure against the dark. I couldn't make out the exact featured but it was a woman no doubt.

I let down the chain a little, held the door open, and scooted as far away as possible.

"Who are you?"

The figure stirred a little.

I held the gun in front of me and pointed it straight at the silhouette, though I knew it would be useless against zombies.

I checked for my mask. It was still in place. Protection against airborne viruses.

The walking menace had reached epidemic proportions in the world. The new strain of zombie virus had taken control of the world.

We scientists at the International convention of Epidemic management had christened it H1N16 a mutated strain of the common influenza virus belonging to the Orthomyxoviridae family of RNA viruses and this virus was spreading through contact and fomite borne. This left a legion of walking dead, rotting corpses, craving to take more life.

Nobody knew where the virus came from or how to stop it. We scientists were trying our best to find some antiviral.

I had been working on a drug that cured HIV and trying to alter its composition to help break down the viral protein.

"Doctor Winnster?" a voice broke my reverie.

"Rachel? I mean Doctor Jonson?"

I was surprised that I had recognized her voice after almost five years of not seeing each other. I had last met her at a video conference in Geneva, at the headquarters of the World health Organization and she had been in Paris at that time, researching on new drugs for cancer. That was two years back.

"You can call me by my name, Mike," she laughed. "Now put down that gun and let me in before I freeze here."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I let down the chain with a clank.

She came in and closed the door behind her.

I was going to take off my mask.
"Don't," she warned. "They can be anywhere."

I looked puzzled.

"Better safe than sorry," she winked, striding indoors. "Now I have something interesting to tell you."

"It's okay, rest for a bit, be comfortable and we can talk. How did you end up here?" I automatically reached out to hold her hand.

"No," she jerked away her gloved hand. "Don't touch me."