Strakh

Strakh— Fear

Strakh— Fear.... in Russian

I tripped on some odd branches sticking too low which got entangled with my feet. I fell down with a welp, the brambles slicing open my arms with its sharp thorns. I gasped and felt the sound echo through the silence, reverberating from every tree.

The forest was eerily calm and the trees with half gnawed bark stood around, making a tight knit canopy, through which very less sunlight was filtering to the ground.

I looked around for the white stone and found it peeping from beneath some dried leaves. I scrambled to the place and brushed them off to reveal the writing.

1
Fairy Woods

So that was the last base of the challenge and I was so close to my win. I couldn't just get defeated now. I gathered up my fallen form and brushed off the damp leaves clinging to my jeans. I took out my phone and captured the stone on my camera as a proof of my touching the last milestone. The clearing must be here somewhere with the organizers waiting for us and the crowd with their banners, to cheer for the winners of the biggest annual dare game of the entire city, with all vying for the position of the 'Queen of the Wilderness' 

They had eleven bases placed at strategic locations with clues for each. And I got a head start on the others so I guess I was the first one to get there.

This challenge was a part of a centuries old ritual. And it was known for only the daredevils to take part. And the weirdest thing was there was only one winner. The other participants never came back.

Scary right? But who cares? I just need the prize money and I'll go the New York and begin a new life.

I had no friends, no family no one to mourn me, so why not take the dare. But it always made me wonder why no one returned? The one that returned would always have his lips sealed. Nobody even got to know what is in there because somehow their memory of the forests was blurry.

Yes, it has always been a 'He'. I was the first 'She' to take part and there was enough resistance, but my determination made the organizers bow ultimately.

I realized I had been standing for a long time lost in my thoughts. I need to move, but my legs were frozen. I felt cold suddenly. There was an unearthly presence around.

Psah!

What was I thinking? Fairies are all myths.

Carefully taking one step at a time, I moved on.

The wind howled through the trees, whispers following me around.

'Go away...'
'Don't enter'

The voices seemed to be swirling around me, dragging it's chilly fingers on my skin, making my blood turn to ice. I steeled my heart. Because the more you get afraid, the more the fear would conquer you and destroy you.