SAVIOR

There was a loud and frantic banging on the door

“Easy there,” I shouted, rushing to the door. “The world’s not coming to an end.”

I threw it open and immediately got a face full of feathers as something rushed into my house.

“Ouch!” I mumbled, touching my cheek where the stiffer ones had scraped me.

“I’m so very sorry, Your Highness,” a high pitched voice rang out at my feet.

I jumped back in fear as I found her sitting there. Dressed in something just better than rags. She was quite ordinary, unless you noticed the unearthly glow on her skin and well, an awkward pair of white wings sitting on her back.

“Umm, I’m not hosting a fancy dress party here. You must have messed up the address, Miss,” I said, struggling to keep the smirk off my face.

“I can’t mess up the location of our Prince,” she said, drawing up a tattered map from her, pocket, whose lines were hardly visible.

“I am no prince,” I said crossing my arms. “And there is no space for lunatics in my house. So get out!”

I held the door open.

“I wish I could but I have to protect you as I had been sent as your guardian angel,” she whimpered.

“Don’t kid me. I’m just not in the mood,” I snapped.

“Please don’t throw me out. If you reject me, I can’t show my face ever again at Melodia!”
She made a dash for my feet again.

I tripped, losing my balance and almost fell when I felt a push from behind. Surprised, I whipped around to find no one.

“You did that?” I was flummoxed.

“Magic!” she gave a sad smile.

“Wait! You want me to believe in that crap in this age of technology?”

“Everything that exists in the world isn’t limited to that small smartphone in your hand.”

Her words were bold and crisp, yet she kept her head down, fidgeting with her fingers.

“Okay. So you want to tell me that I am some kind of a prince of a province called Melodia…”

“Prince Arion Eden Lazar, the heir to the throne of Melodia to be precise. I’m Siofra and I have been deputed by the queen to guard you. Delancy, your appointed guardian angel has been kidnapped by the Warriors of Melancholia. The queen needed someone well versed in all the latest advances in magic and I was the lucky one. Don’t hate me Prince, just because I’m from the slums of Adoria,” she touched her dress. “I may not be as grand as Delancy, but I have taken the lessons seriously and have aced all subjects including spells, concoctions, disguises...”