The Ocean

When I opened my eyes under this pitch-black water, I already knew the whole earth was destroyed — what I didn't know was that I discovered a completely different world under the ocean, miles below the earth.

_____________

The all consuming darkness swirled around me as I spluttered and choked. My lungs screamed for air. 

'I want to live' was the only thought in my head as I spluttered and pedalled in vain

"Do you want to live?" a voice resonated through my brain. 

My oxygen deprived brain gave a sigh of yes

And suddenly I could breathe. I gulped a mouthful of the darkness and my lungs exhaled in relief. 

"Who are you? Where are you?" I looked around. 

"I'm everywhere." the voice ricocheted off invisible walls. 

"But I can't see…" 

"You're in me. I'm the Ocean." 

"How're you speaking to me?" 

"Because you wanted to live. Even if I destroyed the earth."

"Why did you destroy the earth?" 

"Because humans polluted me with plastics and killed the marine creatures. I was quiet for a long time but then..." 

"Why save me?" 

"I'm amazed at the resilience you showed. I devoured all those petty humans and you tried to fight — fight me." 

I felt myself being propelled forward by an unseen force. The tide pulled me deeper. The darkness faded into twinkling lights until I was hovering over a city. As I neared the sign of a different civilisation, I could see houses made of corals, pebbled roads and merfolk— shiny scales, graceful tails, men, women, children. 

"Atlantis?" 

The water bubbled around me in millions of tiny effervescence as the Ocean laughed. 

"Atlantis is a myth," the water breathed, "This civilization is the Ocean's most guarded secret and it's as ancient as the times." 

And sure enough as I looked around, the houses stretched for miles towards the watery horizon. 

"You can stay here," the ocean purred. 

"What if I don't want to?"

"Then the last trace of humanity will be erased.The choice is yours." 

"I'll stay."

-------------------

300 words completed