1 ✧ apple boy

There's nothing better than a southern summer... hot, muggy, humid air that can literally burn your lungs, lakes infested with alligators and rivers with ecoli, and not pretty birds who sing nice songs but crows. Big, black blue crows who screech and squawk all day long.

Mmmm... summer. Sike.

"Stay close, Ru." I call out. He flashes me a tiny grin and heads back to the swings.

It's a staggering 98° out here and Ruben insisted we go to the park.

The park.
In the middle of the sun.
During the hottest part of the day.
Mmmm... summer.

I've been keeping an eye on Ruben, my baby brother, since my mom left. I'm still not completely sure where she is, but I don't mind having Ru. He's my baby and he keeps me preoccupied.

Kids are screaming and laughing, one's crying. I wanted to read but that's probably not an option. Ugh. Kids.

I adjust my position, crossing my legs under me and leaning against the big oak tree the bench is built into.

Here in the south, we don't cut down trees we just build around them. Or through them. Or they grow around what we build. It's crazy down here.

I finally zone out the kids and start reading. I brought my copy of Edgar Allen Poe's poems and stories. He's my favorite.

I zone out everyone but I glance up every time a kid screams, in case it's Ru. It never is, that boy is tough as nails, but it's an instinct. I swear though, he had to get staples in his head one time and never cried. Not one tear. It's a little scary.

We loved with a love that was more than love, me and my Annabel Lee.

I'm trying to finish the poem when all of a sudden an apple comes flying out of nowhere. I don't have time to dodge it, so naturally it hits me directly in the face.

I scream, more like groan, and hunch over in pain. That really hurt. Like, really hurt. I'm gonna have a black eye for sure. Where the hell did an apple come from?

My thoughts are interrupted by a tug on my pants leg. "What wong sissy?" Ru's tiny voice and cute lisp melts my heart. "Are ou otay?"

I smile and look at him, toothless little turd. "Yeah baby, I'm fine. Go pla-"

"I AM SO SORRY!" a loud voice interrupts me. "I DIDN'T MEAN TO HIT YOU I DIDN'T EVEN MEAN TO THROW IT, WELL I DIDN'T EVEN THROW IT AND IM SO SORRY! ARE YOU OKAY? DO I NEED TO CALL AN AMBULA-"

"Hey fella," I interrupt his annoying speech. "I'm okay. It's just a black eye. I'll be fine."

He sighs and runs a hand through his long hair. "'M really sorry. It was a complete accident."

I smile, "It's okay. I'll go ice it. Don't worry about it." I look him in the eye for the first time and hot dang he's actually kinda cute.

"I'll get outta your hair, but again, I'm sorry." He smiles awkwardly and turns to walk off. Ru picks up the apple and taps my leg.

"Hey apple boy!" I yell, causing him to turn. "You forgot your apple." I wink, tossing it to him. He catches it without missing a beat and smiles. Talented. I see.

Ru asks if we could go home now, he's hungry, so I pick him up on my hip and start the walk home. For the rest of the day, the throbbing in my face and eye makes it hard to forget about apple boy.

✧ ✦ ✧

attached is the cover because harry is precious. thanks for reading!