Chapter 9: "The Night That Brings Fright!"

Karachi (Pakistan)

4:45pm

20 years ago

It was a beautiful evening. The wind was passing by softly and the group of friends sat in the lawn, laughing together, under the open sky. A tray of freshly made tea was placed before them and they talked, enjoying the slight warmth of the Sun.

"Bhai bss bhi karien ab, bhabhi ko kitna pareshaan karengay (Come on bhai, stop it now. How much more will you tease sister in law?) ," Zaahid chuckled and looked at his elder brother, Haider , who was teasing his beloved wife Jannat.

Jannat glared at her husband when he sneakily took another biscuit from her plate before engaging in the conversation.

"Kia karien, humari biwi ek biscuit bhi humaray saath share nahi karsaktien,(What should I do? My wife can't even share a single biscuit with me.)" Haider commented, feigning fake disappointment. Jannat ignored his remark completely and placed her plate of biscuits far from his reach, making other's laugh at the two.

Noor Afzal took a sip from her hot beverage hiding her smile at her fuming friend, "Lagta hai aaj koi kamray k bahar soyega,(Looks like someone is going to sleep outside of the room tonight.)" It was Burac, her husband, who had made the sneaky comment and another chorus of laughter sounded, this time Jannat also joining in.

Haider quickly straightened in his chair and scowled at Burac but he was far too engrossed in the chatter to realize the innocent anger of Haider.

"Bhabhi meri maanien tou issay roz hi bahar sulaya karien,(Bhabhi listen to me. Make him sleep outside every night.)" Burac said smugly.

"Aap sahi kehrahay hien, aaj se hi shru karti hoon mien,(You are right. I am going to do this from today.)" Jannat agreed and Haider's eyes widened seeing the changing colors of his beloved wife. Burac had always been a big brother too Jannat and Jannat respected him the most. They always sided with each other in light-hearted banters just like right now.

"Haan haan jiski jesi zindagi guzarahi hoti hai woh doosron ko bhi wesay hi mashwaray detay hien,(Of course, we give advices to others on the basis of how our own life is going.)" Noor spoke, giving her husband a triumph smile. Haider laughed out loud, seeing how the tables had turned. Just like Burac, Noor always sided with Haider.

"Yeh hoi na baat!(That's the spirit!)" Haider said, well pleased, "Bhai Burac itnay buray haal,(Brother Burac, how miserable.)" He mocked him and Burac just rolled his eyes at the brat sitting in front of him.

"Acha ab bss bhi karien,(Alright enough now.)"Farzana, Zaahid's wife came in between the four,"Kuch khaayen tou sab thanda horaha hai,(Eat something, everything's getting cold.)" She said, pointing towards the savories that were placed on the table along with the evening tea.

Farzana was the one who always step in between their banters to keep the four from pulling each others hair out. She was the calm one.

"Beta, Farzana bhabhi nien bachalia, warna aaj tou jaatay tum,(Farzana sister in law has saved you or else you were a goner today.)" Burac said, giving Haider an angry look who just ignored him and took a steaming samosa before taking a bite.

"Noor Bhabhi kisi ka dil jalgaya hai,(Noor sister in law someone's heart is burning.)" Haider said and the two chuckled.