Chapter 1

France, 1346

A Funeral No One Cared About

The soft rain slid out of the puffy gray clouds and onto the lives that stood down below. The few people whom were gathered for the occasion huddled closely together to protect themselves from the downpour of the cold rain. Many of whom regretted even stepping out of the dryness of their homes to attend such a useless event. What a melancholy day for a funeral of the man whom would never be remembered.

"This man, whom will be remembered by all, shall finally rest in peace and descend upon the heavens that which God had intended for all. God bless." The tall black haired man who stood next to the corpse spoke mournfully. He wipes away a stray tear and quickly walks away to stand beside to his wife. That man has been in the same work division as the corpse and had probably been called a friend of the deceased man.

The next person, a woman, steps away from the comfort of the human body heat huddle to stand next to the corpse. She has wavy brown hair that reached down to her shoulders, and wearing a long cloth brown dress and a shall to protect herself from the rain. She was his young twenty-nine year-old wife. "I will never forget what an impact he had on me." She stifled out. Warm salt water dripped down her tear-stained face and she started to sob. A boy with short curly hair whom was no older than thirteen ran up to his mother to console her. He took her hand and slowly lead her away from her dead husband, and back to the human gathering.

Last, is the corpse's daughter. A fourteen year old girl with long, straight, silky, black hair whom is wearing a long loosely fit black dress, walks her way up to where the previous people had stood. "I doubt things will be the same without you." She murmurs. She releases a crumpled blue flower from her hand and it falls onto the body down below it. She walks away and stands next to her sobbing mother and younger brother.

The grave diggers walk up to the corpse and then spoke in unison in a monotone voice, "May you find your path to a peaceful final rest." They each grab a shovel and shove the body into the hole next to it. As they fill the pit with dirt, the people slowly disperse back to their separate homes. No one stayed to see his eyes open again.

——————————

"Act like the man of the house, hun! Go get yourself a wife!" The boy's mother sternly speaks. "Most boys your age are already married."

The boy fidgets against his mother's powerful demeanor. "It doesn't seem to matter how many girls I ask, they all say no. I think it's our money situation." He sadly mutters. His mother sighs.

"If father was here... I think they would have said yes.." He sighs sadly and his mother flinches.

It had only been two weeks since her husband's funeral and they were all still grieving. Although most women would be over their late husband after a week and find a new husband, Malinda felt otherwise. She had felt what most wives could not towards her deceased husband. Love and devotion. But, at twenty-nine, she did not have much more time.

Just as Malinda was about to talk again, Evelyn walks into their open doorway. There was a new thing to pin her frustration on. "Just where have you been?" She asks her daughter and turns around to face the young woman.

"My job was taking longer than expected today." She responds simply. Evelyn has been at her job in the house across theirs working for the past two years now. She acts as a house maid, cleaning clothes, cleaning the house, cooking food, things like that. Any money they could get was worth not having education. But, it wasn't like they would be able to afford education anyways, only upperclass could have that privilege.

"I guess I should look for a husband." Malinda sighs. She didn't want to, but it was for the sake of her son's future. That was, until she remembered the other female in the house.