Chapter 5

France, 1348

The End Of Days

"Hey, Evelyn, right?" A witch calls out to Evelyn. It is a brisk Saturday afternoon and Evelyn is mindlessly walking around, perhaps waiting for Albreda.

"Yes, what is it?'' Evelyn answers and turns around to address the speaker. The girl looks about fourteen and has short auburn hair and is wearing a navy dress.

"Uh could you do my job for me? It's just collecting fruit and stuff in the forest.... its ok if you don't want to. It's just... I heard that my sister is doing better now and I want to see her." She says and shyly looks away.

Evelyn smiles. She reminds me a bit of Edmund... caring.

"Of course. Go ahead and see your sister." Evelyn says and the girl's green eyes sparkle.

"Thank you!" She says enthusiastically and runs towards the house. I wonder if the doctor played any part in that.

"Now.. where would fruit be?" She thinks aloud. Evelyn spots a green-looking fruit and walks over to take a good look at it. Just as she touches it, Evelyn flinches. It feels like someone is watching me. She swiftly turns around, but sees no one. Strange. Evelyn picks the fruit and a hand goes over her mouth. She tries to scream but no words come out. Her legs feel paralyzed. Before she knows it, her body goes limp, and the person drags her unconscious body farther into the forest.

———————

"Sis!" A voice yells and the houses' door slams open. A red haired girl runs over to to her older sister who is laying in one of the beds. The doctor extends his arm in front of the patient as if to tell the fourteen year-old not to trample onto her sister.

"She is still in a bad condition." He says and the girl pouts.

"But she's getting better, right?" She asks and the doctor nods. The girl smiles and hold her sister's hand. "Well, I'm glad then."

"Alianor, weren't you suppose to pick fruit today? Are you neglecting your work?" The Occisor asks.

"No, I just got someone else to do it! She seemed happy to do it anyways. I think her name is Evelyn?" Alianor says and brushes her sisters' bangs away from her eyes. The doctor stiffens. He runs out of the house to find Albreda. "Hey! What's going on?" She calls out to him.

"Albreda!" The doctor yells out to her. She walks out of her tent to face him.

"Gosh doc, no need to yell. What's up?" She asks, a bit scolding him.

"Have you seen Evelyn lately?"

"Well, no. She-" She starts and the doctor runs off. "Hey! Wait!" Albreda says and runs after them. When they reach the forest, the doctor realizes that they weren't fast enough.

"Raynold! What is it?!" Albreda says with panic filled in her voice.

"They took her." The doctor says and Albreda's eyes widen.

————————

When Evelyn opens her eyes, the darkness of the room blinds her. Realization hits her and she struggles to stand up. They had tied her arms back and tied her feet to the chair. "Let me out!" She yells and panic starts to settle in. They have me... I'm going to burn. But I don't want to die yet. I have the doctor and Albreda waiting for me.

A door creaks open, letting light flood in, which reveals the room that she is being held in. Stone walls surround her, with a wooden floor at her feet. Evelyn is glad that she wore shoes today, or she might have gotten splinters. But the light is short lived, and the door shuts, leaving her in the room alone.