Chapter 4, Part 3

In that moment of complete despair and foolishness, Evelyn wanted to be with someone. Anyone that she knew. Fortunately for her, there was one right next to her. So, despite the doctor's wish of not interfering with anyone, he followed her wish of wanting to be with someone.

So now, they sit in her tent in opposite corners. Despite the cool, thin night air, the air in the tent is dense with awkwardness. At that point, Evelyn is started to regret asking him in the first place. Perhaps Albreda would have been a wiser choice. But then again, she didn't know what was going on, nor had she known a possible reason why.

"It was your brother, wasn't it?" The doctor asks. Evelyn nods her head. She is a bit surprised that he had been the first one to talk.

"I wouldn't blame you. I would have done the same for my mother." He says and Evelyn looks over at him. Albreda didn't mention that his mother had died... but why would she?

"She was a witch, but a wonderful person. When she saw the most trivial things, like stars, her eyes would light up. She didn't deserve to die." Occisor says and Evelyn swore she could see a smile beneath the dreary mask. "After all, it was my fault."

"Why?" She asks.

He is hesitant to answer her question, partly because he didn't want to answer the question, nor remember what had happened. "Fourteen was an age far too young to give birth. It was as if my father didn't care. Surely, two months afterwards she gave birth, she died, because of me."

Evelyn feels like she shouldn't have spoken about it. It was her fault for pressing.

"After her death, my father resorted to alcohol. He eventually conducted The Black Death and died." He concludes. Evelyn feels terrible. She had pushed her problems onto him when, the doctor was still facing those same problems. How selfish of her.

"I'm sorry. I was selfish and pushed my problems on you, instead of thinking about what you might have been facing." She says and looks away.

"...don't be. It seems like you're ok now. I'll be going." He says and stands up and walks out of her tent. But still, despite what he said, she still wasn't ok. Evelyn stayed up the rest of the night, pondering about what he had said.

The following morning, Evelyn decided to push herself to talk to the doctor again. "Doctor-" She starts and pulls open a side of his tent only to find him standing there, without his mask on. She quickly lets go of the flap and rushes to the side of the opening.

What was he doing there without his mask on? I thought they said that he always had his mask on?!? What is going-

"Evelyn, I saw you." He calls out.

Oh god oh god oh god oh god....

A hand grabs her shoulder and pulls Evelyn back inside. When inside, she still has her eyes shut, with her hands over her eyes. "I'm not going to kill you." The doctor says.

"B-But, I feel like I shouldn't see you without that mask. After all, no one else has." She says and lowers her head. Not only that, she is also afraid to look up.

He sighs. "Ok, don't look if you don't want to. What do you want?" The doctor asks her.

"...I don't know... I guess I was just coming to check up on you... I don't know." Evelyn says and lowers her head even further.

"For God's sake." The doctor says and removes Evelyn's hand's away from her eyes. "Just look, you're embarrassing yourself."

Slowly, she opens her eyes to look at him. The doctor has a slim face with short dark messy hair and bangs. Despite his mostly healthy appearance, the doctor still has dark circles under his eyes.