twenty

Grace and Hermione walked into a cafe that was scarcely a minute from their work, a cute little place that had a very art deco theme.

They both took a seat at a table and ordered a complicated wizarding drink that neither knew what it was.
Once the drinks had arrived and both girls were comfortable Hermione started to speak.
"So I actually had a reason for inviting you here."

"Oh really, what can I help you with?" Grace looked up curiously.

"Draco told me that your house elf used to belong to Dumbledore so we think that she might be the next target..."

Grace's eyes widened "Really? But.." Her voice trailed off as she tried to take in the information.

Hermione stirred her drink and gave Grace a sympathetic look, "I think we should keep an eye on her, we don't want to use her as bait or anything but it might help if we spotted who was after the house elves."

Grace nodded her head in agreement "Good idea but Isla isn't staying with me at the moment, she's helping out with the Malfoy's big party all week."

Hermione inwardly cursed, she knew what she had to do.
"Okay, I say we hype up security at the Malfoy's  party. I'll see if I can get an invite and we can watch Isla carefully."

Grace put her head in her hands "Everything was going so well... and now..."

"I'm so sorry, if there's anyway I can help.." Hermione said softly.

Grace shook her head and wiped her damp eyes "No no no I'll be fine."

"Maybe Alex could stay with you for now? As comfort?" Hermione suggested.

Grace nodded "Yeah I'm sure he'd be up for that, he's such a nice guy."

Hermione smiled, she was so envious of their relationship but now wasn't the time for that. She had to be strong.

"Hermione.. thank you for being so nice about this. And I'm so sorry about what happened with you and Draco." Grace said kindly, seeing Hermione's eyes mist over.

"Thank you, I'll be okay." Hermione replied, wiping her own eyes.

"Are you sure? Because I remember how he used to talk about you and now.. he's engaged to that rich girl." Grace said.

Hermione looked up at the girl in front of her "Yeah, it's not that fun." she admitted, playing with her spoon as a form of distraction.

"You know, I could set you up with some preeeetty cute guys." Grace said with a smile.

Hermione laughed and shook her head "Thank you but I think I'm going to stay away from dating for now."

Grace raised her eyebrows in shock "Really? Because you look like a goddess, especially in that dress any man would be falling at your feet."

"The only man I would have wanted is marrying another woman so no I think I should just stay away from all men." She admitted.

Grace laughed "You're so modest. At least you can make Draco insanely jealous at his engagement party."

Hermione nodded in agreement "That's true, I'm glad we did this. Otherwise I'd be at home in my sweats with a book."

"There's nothing wrong with that" Grace shrugged but Hermione was preoccupied by a tall dark man who had just entered the cafe.

"Grace could you excuse me for a second?" Hermione interrupted her and wandered over to the man who had just walked in.

"Theodore, hey" Hermione smiled to Theodore Nott.

Theodore turned around at the sound of her voice in surprise.
"Granger, it's nice to see you. Wow you look.." His voice trailed off as he took in her outfit.

Hermione laughed and gave him a big smile "Thank you, are you going to Draco's party?"

Theodore rubbed the back of his neck and nodded "Yeah. Sorry about you and Draco, he's a dick."

Hermione shrugged and nodded "Its okay, I'll get through it. This is crazy but do you by any chance have a date to the party?"

Theodore let out a small laugh "Why no I don't, you aren't planning on crashing it and declaring your love for Draco are you?"

Hermione shook her head "No nothing like that, it's work stuff. I don't plan on seeing Draco there but I really need an invite and I don't want to have to ask him because... you know"

Theodore nodded "Well then it's your lucky day. It's on Friday so you've got a few days to get an outfit. I'll warn you it's very fancy but I'm sure you'll look stunning anyway."

Hermione smiled at him "Thank you Theo, for everything."

He shrugged "Its no big deal. I'll pick you up at 7, yeah?"

"Sounds good to me" She grinned back at the blonde.

"One thing, Narcissa wanted it to be a themed party so you have to go dressed as a fairytale character. Something to do with Draco and Astoria living happily ever after. I don't really get it I think it's just to distract everyone from the organised marriage thing." Theodore rambled and then clasped his hand over his mouth, "I wasn't meant to say that."

"Arranged marriage?" Hermione asked, her ears suddenly perking up.

"Um.. yeah you know how they first met through an arranged marriage but you know.. fell in love."

He felt bad for lying to her and the obvious pain he was causing by doing so but he had Draco's trust and he couldn't betray that.

Hermione waved goodbye to him and rejoined Grace, mentally preparing for the party.