7

Laine comes out of her room the next morning and is confused, and a little worried, when she doesn't see Mitch on the couch.

"Lae, what are you doing?" Blake asks once he comes out of his room.

"I can't find Momma and the car is still here."

"He's probably with Dad, did you check?"

"No, they were so pissed last night that I figured he wouldn't be there." They go to their parents' door and quietly open it to see Scott holding Mitch protectively as the small brunette is curled into his husband's chest. They close the door and go back into the living room.

"I'm hungry." Laine dramatically falls onto the couch.

"Get dressed, let's go."

"Where are we going?"

"A bike ride and maybe we'll find a place." They get their bikes, after texting their parents the plan, and Laine follows Blake.

They don't get very far before a car comes out of nowhere right as Blake is about to cross the road and hits him before speeding off.

"Blake!" She takes the sweatshirt out of her bag and holds it against the wound that's bleeding the most.

"911, what is your emergency?"

"M-My brother and I were on a bike ride, a-and he g-got hit by a car."

"What's your name and how old are you, sweetie?"

"My name is Laine Grassi-Hoying. I'm 15 years old."

"Okay, Laine, you sound very smart, are you holding something on the wounds?"

"Yes."

"Very good. Can you tell me where you are?"

Laine looks around, "Um.. The sign says Beach Street. Is that a thing?"

"Yes, the paramedics are on their way. Don't hang up until they're there, okay?"

"When will they be here?"

"Any minute now." About two minutes pass before Laine hears sirens and sees an ambulance coming their way. She waves her hand and they stop before getting out and putting Blake on a stretcher.

"They're here, thank you." She hangs up and puts the phone back in her pocket before grabbing her bag and going into the back of the ambulance with them.

"Name and age?"

"Blake Grassi-Hoying. He's 17. He got hit by a car, he has wounds to be abdomen, legs, arms, and head. He's been fairly stable since it happened and he has no allergies to medicine."

"You sound like you've done this before?"

"I research a lot of stuff." They get to the hospital and Laine walks quickly behind the doctors as they take him from the EMTs and into a trauma room. She knows she can't go into the trauma room, so she stands outside and watches through the window as she listens to everything clearly.

"V-Tach! Get the crash cart!" She watches as a doctor shocks her brother, "Charge to 200... Clear!" Nothing. "Charge to 300... Clear!" His heart rate goes back to normal and they continue checking him out.

After a few minutes Laine realizes she should call Scott and Mitch, so she calls Mitch because he's a lighter sleeper.

"Hey, baby. How's the bike ride?"

"M-Momma—" Laine's voice breaks.

"What's wrong? What happened?"

"Blake and I were on the bike ride.. He got hit by a car, Momma."

"Are you at the hospital?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, we'll be there soon. Are you okay?"

"Physically, yes." They hang up and Mitch gets out of bed after waking Scott up.

"What?"

"Blake is hurt and they're at the hospital."

"Oh my god." They quickly get dressed and get in the car to go to the hospital.

Once they get there, they're taken to be with Laine, who's still sitting outside the trauma room with her knees pulled to her chest.

"Laine!" Laine looks up and sees her parents walking to her. She gets up and hugs them, crying.

"T-The car just came out of nowhere." She sobs. The door opens and Blake is being wheeled out on a gurney.

Laine stops one of the doctors, "Wait, what's going on?"

"That's your brother?"

"Yes, Sir. These are our parents, too."

"I'm Doctor Hunt, I'm the trauma surgeon. We're taking Blake into an emergency surgery, so you'll have to wait in the waiting room. I'll have someone update you as soon as I can."

"Thank you." Doctor Hunt nods before going back to where he's supposed to.

The three of them go to the waiting room and sit down. "What if he dies? What if I didn't do enough when it was just us two?"

"Lae, it's not your fault. It's the driver's fault and that's it." Scott tries to calm her.

"He's probably dying and I didn't help him."

"Sweetie—"

"They had to shock him with the defibrillator." She cries harder and lets Scott hold her as she shakes.

A few hours later, Doctor Kepner comes out, "Mr. and Mx. Grassi-Hoying?"

"How'd you know I'm Mx.?"

"Dr. Sallee, he's the plastic surgeon, told me. He said you went to high school together. Anyways, I'm Dr. Kepner, I'm the trauma fellow that's on your son's case. He's stable for now, we did have to restart his heart a few times in the O.R. as well as in the trauma room. Right now, Dr. Grey is trying to stop the bleeding in his abdomen while Dr. Yang is making sure his heart doesn't stop."

"Will he be okay? Will he make it?" Mitch asks.

Dr. Kepner hesitates, "We're trying our hardest to make sure he stays alive, you have a very strong son. If there's any family you need to call, I'd advise you do that now."

"Thank you." The doctor goes back to the O.R.

"Yang, Grey, how's it looking?"

"I just stopped the bleeding, let's hope it doesn't start again. I checked everywhere else, I got everything in my area." Dr. Grey informs her.

"Yang?"

"Not good, he's got a tear in his pulmonary artery. I'm sure I can fix it, but he's losing lots of blood, I'm not sure if we'll be able to save him."

***

Cliffhangers are back, you're welcome.