July 2001

A/N: So GCSEs have been over for a good month now so I'm back and better than ever - well, maybe not...

Anyway, here is a quick part (the next will be up VERY soon) just to get your tastebuds tingling and expect more books coming your way soon!

I should never watch the news. I might make a rule. All it ever does is stir me up inside and turn whatever slightly good mood I'm in sour like a mouldy lemon.

"Gallagher was seen leaving the Marriot hotel in his home town with a not-so-mysterious blonde-"

I don't know why I even care anymore! It's not like we were ever together or anything. Our acquaintanceship ended like all things do.

"The woman has recently been named as the soap star-"

I scrape the remnants of my burnt scrambled eggs from the pan and into the bin, digging the spatula deep into the metal in a vain attempt to scrape off the solidified egg. No chance.

"It is rumoured that the pair have been sneaking around together for the past month or so-"

I drop the pan down onto the table creating an almighty crash that stuns me momentarily. I couldn't really expect any less of him, he's a Gallagher, they have zero commitments.

"We wish the pair the very best-"

I switch off the television abruptly before grabbing my bag and keys and leaving my crumbling flat.

On the way to work I regularly walk past the newsagents. Today, in the street in front, four or five newspaper stands have been stood up, all displaying different newspapers with the same headlining story, 'Gallagher and Soap Star are Half the World Away!'

I walk straight past, only stealing a glance or too. He's not worth my time and clearly, I wasn't worth his.

////

"Two bruschetta for table nine!"

I lean on the work top, staring intensely at the burning oil in front me, fizzing angrily in its pan and occasionally spitting upwards and scorching my tired skin.

"TWO BRUSCHETTA FOR TABLE NINE!" The sous chef screeches once more.

"Honey, that's your table." Joshua pats my shoulder.

"Oh shit, yeah." I shake my head to wake myself up and grab the hot plates, resisting the urge to drop them. The sous chef smirks.

"What's going on Penny? You seem out of sorts."

"What's new then?" I fake a smile and wink at him, heading out into the restaurant.

"When we're finished I'm taking you out for a drink Missy, you need to tell me everything!" Joshua calls back from the restaurant, leaving me smiling a real smile for once. These days they're rarer than rare.

For just one second I feel alright. Yeah the job is shit and pays worse than anywhere I've ever worked before but at least some of the people are nice. It's not forever, just temporary. I've got this!

"Two bruschetta for you-"

The tiny candle flickers at the pressure from my breath but steadies once I go silent. A red rose, slightly wilted, sits upright in its lonesome vase which he is tapping with his index finger rhythmically  to the soft jazz music we have pumping through the speakers. The sound of his nail against the glass makes tears prick into my eyes.

"Penny?" That voice. It fucking haunts me. Constantly. That voice is the reason for my shitty job, shitty income and fucking awful pension scheme! The fact I can't renovate my flat, how my shoes are worn through but I cannot afford new ones. All of that is the fault of the owner of that deep and grizzly voice.

I drop the bruschetta onto the table in shock, the tomato juice splattering upwards at her dress. Her white dress.

"My dress!" She stands up immediately, bottom lip quivering with anger. "Liam look what she did to my dress!"

When she says his name it triggers a reflex within. A reflex which causes me to pivot on my feet and run straight out of the restaurant and into the street.

"Penny? Penny wait!"

His voice behind me only makes me run faster across the road.

His voice behind me only makes me hit the car sooner.