Chapter 22

Back from vacation mah peeps! Also, special announcement! My friend ,who I've been asking to get Wattpad for months, finally got it! So follow Fandomfreak2434!

And we got some good news!

WE DIDN'T KILL A COW!!!!!!!

During the time when Laurens had to stay home, the war came to an odd pause. Soldiers were sent home for the winter months. I was excited to go back to New York City. The Schuyler sisters had made arrangements for me to stay with them since Washington was always very busy.

When you arrived at the Schuyler mansion, Peggy, Angelica, and Eliza were waiting for you. You set your luggage on the ground and hugged your friends. Immediately, they bombarded you with questions.

"How was your trip?"

"Are you hungry?"

"How's the war?"

"How's Alex?" That was from Eliza obviously.

"Did Laurens get any better?"

"Is he dead?"

"Guys!" You finally cut in. "My trip was fine. I'l gladly have something to eat. The war is confusing. Alex is great. Laurens did get better. He is not dead." Peggy clapped. "Wow, Y/n, one breath!" The other two laughed and led you inside the huge house. 

Polished marble floors, golden frames with expensive artwork, and crystal chandlers glimmered in every space. Hundreds of rooms and tall ceilings made up the house. Angelica gestured to one of the many elegant looking rooms. "Thats the dining room. We'll get you some food in a second." Then, she lead you up two flights of stairs into a normal looking room with a balcony. "Here's where you'll be staying."

"You guys," Your voice was a whisper, "This is... it's..." You were speechless for a moment.

"Well I guess I don't know what it is, but HOLY MOLY I LOVE IT!!!" You finally exclaimed. "Whew, okay that's good." Eliza said. "Yeah, we didn't know if you disliked fancy things." Said Peggy. "Nah," You replied, "Fancy is fine. My family just never had enough money to get anything fancy after the whole disappearing disaster." Weeks ago, you had told the sisters the story of your family, and the boat, your father, step- mother, and basically everything.

"Hey Y/n. Do you remember what next week is?" Angelica asked. "Huh? I have no idea what's next week." You said confusedly. "How many times do we have to remind you? It's the week that we're gonna hold the winters ball!" Eliza exclaimed. "Did you seriously forget? It's all we've been talking about for months." Peggy giggled. "Um, well with the war and everything-" You started to say, but Angelica cut you off. "Come on, Y/n! The war is on pause, so let's forget about that for now, and focus on finding you a dress."

The sisters dragged you from shop to shop, but they couldn't find what they called 'a good match'. "Okay guys," You said between store transitions, "I think I know a guy who can help."

You led them to a small shop, the windows were filled with beautiful articles of clothing. You ushered the Schuyler's through the door, then followed right behind them. Inside, you could hear a sowing machine working busily at its job. You followed the noise, leading you to the person you wanted to find.

"Hercules Mulligan! Do you remember me?" You asked. He looked up from his work, and when he saw you, he smiled. "Y/n! Of corse I remember you! It's only been about three days." He laughed and stood up. "I especially remember the time where you kissed-" 

"Okay we don't need to talk about that right now!" You interrupted. "Let's figure out this dress situation." Mulligan nodded and began searching through fabrics. "Okay so who's the dress for?"

"It's for me." You replied. "Wait, Y/n! You kissed someone?!" Eliza exclaimed. "I'll tell you about that later." You replied.

"It's for the upcoming ball I presume?" Hercules continued.

"Yes."

"Are you going with Jo-"

"I don't know yet!" You interrupted again.

"Okay. Well I have the perfect dress for you. I made it for a special occasion such as this, and since I already have your measurements from the war uniform. I decided that making this would be simple, but handy for the future." He smiled, pulling out a beautiful dress from somewhere in the void under his desk. You gasped in astonishment.

The dress was a simple yet very elegant one. It was sort of like a light aqua color, with pearl beads on the hemline of the skirt. The silk sleeves were slightly puffed out, giving you room to breath. It was nothing like you had ever seen before.

"It's beautiful!" You breathed, looking up at Mulligan. "Thank you so much!"

"You're very welcome." He replied, handing you the dress. "Now why don't you go try it on?"

You walked quickly to the dressing room, eager to try on the dress. When you came out, the Schuyler sisters cheered. "Y/n! You look amazing!" Angelica exclaimed. Eliza hugged you. "Now you're ready!" Peggy was talking with Hercules Mulligan, discussing the latest dress fashions and such. "Do you think you could make me a dress?" She asked hopefully. "I love the way you made Y/n's."

"Of corse I can make you one!" He said. They started up another conversation about the times where Peggy would have to come in for measurements and such. When they were done talking, we headed back to the mansion. "I love your dress so much!" Peggy squealed. "It really brings out your eyes." Ever since we had went to Mulligan's shop, Peggy seemed different. She was so much more happy and excited than she used to be. of corse, she was already a joyful person to begin with, but she seemed different.

You decided to ask. "Hey Peggy, why are you so much happier all of the sudden?"

"Um...I..uh.." She stuttered, "I just really love your dress!" Angelica shook her head. "Peggy we've seen plenty of dresses you love but you've never acted like this before." Eliza joined in to. "Also, you only ever stutter when you're hiding something."

Peggy sighed. "Can you guys keep a secret?" She asked. "Yes." Eliza, Angelica, and I replied.She was quiet for a moment. Probably figuring out the best way to tell us. Finally she spoke. "I think I like Hercules Mulligan."