...how to face your past

I fell asleep in the armchair not long after that. It wasn't all that bad. I mean, it's comfy enough as long as you lay in the correct position. Besides, I'm not sure I could have moved from there even if I had wanted to.

It turned out that sleep did me good because I had a much clearer head by the time I woke up. It was seven pm, so I had a quick shower.

Before heading down for dinner, I reached under my bed and brought out a brown book. Its title read:

'Tales by Shakespeare.'

Holding the book away from me I opened it, letting the dust it had accumulated over the years free. Gingerly, I began to flip through the pages of the book.

As the crackling of paper continued, the locked chest in the back of my mind slowly opened, letting out bits of the memories that had been locked inside...

. . .

'Romeo darling, where art thou?'

The caramel-skinned boy with dark curls furrowed his brow. 'Mum, I'm right here!'

The woman, who he had inherited his looks from, glanced down at him and placed a swift kiss on his forehead. 'I don't mean you, Angelo. I'm talking about Romeo number two.'

Turning back to the doorway, she called out again. 'Romeo darling, where art thou?'

There was no reply.

"Romeo darling, where art thou?'

Still no reply.

The smile slipped off her face a bit. 'Romeo?'

More silence.

The smile melted off as she growled, 'John, get your ass upstairs, now!'

There was a brief pause, then the sound of a man's groan flitted into the room. 'Okay, okay, I'm coming!'

A few moments later, the man trudged into the room, pouting. 'But Juliet, my love, I was watching the game!'

'Oh Romeo darling, do not speak so! Surely you know there's a television in this room?'

She was right because there was a TV at the far end of her rather spacious den. Along with that, there was a large bed in the room, upon which she lay. A group of sofas surrounded the television. Silk curtains obstructed the flow of moonlight into the room.

The lioness' once-mighty legs had become useless to her, due to the virus that had wrecked it not so long ago. Her frame was a lot thinner, but the changes had not dulled her fiery personality.

Meanwhile, the man replied, 'And I will gladly use it for the chance to be near you. I can't though. That appalling friend of yours, Cassandra, may call you with her thunderous voice!'

'Oh, Romeo-'

'Why do you both talk weird?"

The man and woman both blinked, then turned to the boy. 'What?'

'Why do you talk like that? It's weird.'

The man sighed. 'Well boy, it has something to do with how I met your mother- hey, I think I just came up with the greatest idea and name for a show! I've struck gold!'

'You'll be striking a lawsuit as well if you go ahead and try to sell that as your idea!' The woman smiled at the boy. 'But he's right though, it does have something to do with the story of how we met. Would you like to hear it?'