Arrival

Aimee frowned at me. "What?"

"That's what I said!"

"Wh- I mean, I know that! Why are you acting like this?"

"What do you mean 'why am I acting like this'? You just told me that Dylan has been assigned to mentor you!"

"Yeah, but it's not that big of a deal. I mean, yeah it sucks, but don't you think you're being a bit dramat-" Her eyes widened, "-oh."

Furrowing my brow, I swivelled my head, looking from left to right. When I couldn't spot anything particularly striking, I looked back at her and frowned. "What, what happened?"

"Nothing. I just realised now why you're being so dramatic."

"What are you talking ab-" Barely a moment later, the smug look that appeared on her face gave me all the answer I needed.

My face grew warm as I scoffed, "Whatever you're thinking, I can assure you that's not it!"

She gave me a sweet smile. "Whatever are you talking about?"

"You know what I'm talking about! You think I'm jealous!"

"Well you said it, not me!"

I felt my cheeks grow even warmer. "I said 'you think' not 'I am' !"

"So you're still in denial then?"

"You can't be in denial when you're right about something! I'm not jealous!"

"Mmm hmm, sure you aren't."

Despite her words, that insufferable smirk still remained on her face.

"I... you know what? I don't care whether Dylan is your mentor or not."

"Sure you don't."

Between gritted teeth, I replied, "No really, I don't ! It's none of my business anyways."

"Ok then, great!"

"Great indeed!"

Silence reigned for a while after that, during which Aimee remained smirking at me and my face kept getting warmer by the second.

Finally, I cleared my throat. "So... I'm gonna go have lunch now. I- I forgot to before."

She rose an eyebrow at me. "You forgot to have lunch?"

I nearly face palmed myself when I realised my mistake. "Well n- no, I just... wasn't hungry before and I am now so-"

My voice cut off when I realised that Aimee was struggling to hold back laughter.

By then, my face was so warm that I won't be too surprised if Aimee could feel the heat radiating off it. "You know what, fuck you! Why am I even explaining my reason for going to have lunch anyways? I'm going to lunch, and that's all you need to know!"

I turned back and begun stomping away immediately after I'd uttered those words.

Shortly after, I heard her shout, "You sure you don't need some company during lunch? I could come with you, as long as Dylan doesn't invite me first!"

Briefly looking back, I flipped her off then continued on my path, inwardly seething at the thought of even being the slightest bit jealous of Dylan.

That doesn't make any sense, right?
.      .      .

What am I doing here?

That thought rang in my head not once, not twice, but... well, a whole bunch of times.