...how to see a different side

As Annie approached us, there was no trace of the previous emotions she had been dealing with on her face. Beside her, a tall, pale man in a dark suit swaggered towards us. He had tousled short dark hair, a well-defined jawline set on a broad face, and light-green eyes. He looked like he was in his early twenties.

He grinned at Max. "Maximilian, so good to see you again! When I saw Annabeth, you can't imagine how pleased I was to know you'd both arrived!"

Chuckling, Max shook his hand. "Mr. Terrier, I'd been planning to come to find you ever since I got here."

"Ah, I was wondering why you hadn't done so!"

Still smiling, Annie said to me, "Angelo, do you mind coming with me for a bit?"

I opened my mouth to protest, but the look in her eyes told me that it wasn't up for debate.

I nodded. "Sure. Lead the way."

. . .

When we were some distance away, Annie's shoulders sagged. "Lord, I hate that guy!"

My brow furrowed. "Could have fooled me, what with you and Max acting like he was your long-lost best friend!"

"Pshh, those were formalities. Believe me, you'd understand that when you get more accustomed to all this."

I frowned. Those formalities apply in everyday life as well.

I asked, "So did you just call me here to rant?"

She sighed. "No, of course not. I called you here to tell you that you should be mindful of your words around Lucas. He might be a proud prick, but he is the leader of the South American faction."

"He is? Isn't he a little....young?"

"Well, he's 21, so he is the youngest faction leader. His elder brother died in an accident years ago, and Lucas was his immediate successor. He took over once he turned eighteen. But anyways, Lucas age doesn't matter." She paused, then added, "Well, it does, because maybe if he was a bit older, he'd be more mature. Anyways, try not to-"

"-aggravate him. Yeah, I get it."

. . .

We found Aimee alone with Lucas when we got back. His arm was slung around her.

I frowned. Clearly, he's interested in getting to...know her better.

As soon as Aimee saw me, she gasped and ran forward, slinging her arms around me. "Babe, you're back!"

Before I had a chance to express my alarm, she whispered, "Just play along, okay?"

One look at the dark look that appeared on Lucas' face was enough to convince me.

Aimee removed her hands from around me but still clung onto my arm.

I smirked. "Yes, yes, Big Daddy is here now!"

She dug her nails into my arm. "Oh, Romeo, you're so funny!"

"I disagree." Lucas sniffed as he frowned at Annie. "I take it this is the Smith boy?"

Stiffening, I spat, "Angelo, sir. I have a name."

He ignored me, saying to Annie, "We need to change the rule about allowing people in based on age alone." He glanced at me. "After all, some people's mentality mature much slower than others."

What the fuck?

Smirking, I cut off whatever reply Annie would have given. "I completely agree with you. But since you think so, I can't imagine what you'll think of immature people holding a great deal of power. Though in some cases, I guess it can be-"

Annie warned, "Angelo-"

"-excused. After all, you never know when life may force a knockoff from the original into that seat of power-"

"Angelo!"

I stopped. Damn it!

Lucas shot me a dirty look. "Let me tell you something, boy. This isn't some high school party where you may be able to get away with talking shit. Right now, you're in the middle of an ocean with sharks swimming around you. Believe me when I say this; I'm the most vicious of them all."

Although my heart was racing, I scoffed. "Really, that's your reply? How old are-"

"Enough!" Annie exclaimed. "Mr. Terrier, I'm so sorry-"

"Save it!" Jabbing a finger at me, he snarled, "Learn to keep your orphaned mutt on a tighter leash!"

My breath caught. I am going to kill this motherfucker!

When I finally found my voice, I growled, "The fuck did you call-"

Aimee grabbed onto my hand, murmuring, "Angelo, calm down. Please."

I looked into her eyes, which were pleading with me. Some flashes of the events that had taken place at the party the week before passed through my mind.

My free hand clenched. I'm sorry, Aimee, but I can't let this go.

But by the time I'd turned my attention away from Aimee, Lucas was already gone.