...how to get to know someone

"Hi, I have a reservation saved under Annie Hanako?"

The receptionist checked her system before shooting us a smile. "Of course. Someone will escort you to a table."

A suited man walked up to us and gestured in front of him. "Right this way, madam."

Annie replied, "I'm going to wait outside for five minutes: I'm expecting a few other people."

I grumbled, "One of them might not make it."

Annie shot me a sharp look.

I shrugged. "Just saying. A lot can happen in five minutes."

Meanwhile, the suited man nodded. "Alright. Follow me-" His bottom lip curled as his eyes trailed up and down my outfit, "-sir."

Annie laughed. "Excuse his dressing, Angelo isn't used to this sort of thing."

I hissed, "Excuse me?"

"I'll be with you shortly, Angelo, feel free to start ordering now!" On that note, Annie walked away.

I glared until the man cleared his throat. "Well, shall we go inside?"

"No, I'm fine with spending the night on this spot. Just in case you don't get it, that's sarcasm."

The man's jaw tightened as he nodded. "Of course. Follow me."

We walked out of the fancy reception into another room. Golden light and the smell of various foods bathed it, unlike the former. Rows of circular tables all stood evenly spaced out with red cloth swathed around them. There were reclining couches at the ends of the room, where people sat chattering to each other.

I wrinkled my nose at the music. Jazz, ew!

Annie had been right about the dress code. All the women wore dresses while most of the men wore suits. The few that didn't still wore dress shirts.

As I walked across the room, a few people whispered to themselves as their eyes trailed after me.

Raising an eyebrow, I shook my head. When did minding your business stop being a thing?

"This is yours," my guide said as we reached a table near the end of the room.

I nodded. "Thank you. You may leave now."

Frowning, the man walked away.

"I see you've brought your usual sophisticated attitude here."

Turning, I found Aimee staring at me. I smirked. "I try- what are you wearing?"

She frowned as she sat at the table. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

You of all people are wearing a floor-length dress?

I huffed. "I thought we were in this together!"

"In what together? Have you gone crazy?"

"No, but you have! What happened to Aimee the rebel, she who shall not abide by rules?"

"First of all, I have never called myself something like that!" A thoughtful look crossed her face. "But those are dope titles! Secondly, okay, so I'm in a dress. So what?"

"These people expect you to wear a dress and you're wearing one! It's not natural!"

Her eyes widened, then she burst out laughing.

I glared at her.

That went on for about a full minute before her laughter slowly died down, and she wiped at her eyes. "Oh my goodness, I haven't laughed that hard in a while! How can you even think I care what snotty rich people think about me?"