CC7 - Part 18

Lauren’s POV

The room was still relatively dark due to the closed curtains. I could barely see but it was enough to admire the brunette beside me. Camila was sleeping peacefully, her breathing steady, facial features relaxed and everything about her looked absolutely flawless. She looked younger - a lot younger than usual. It felt like being back at the U-17 teams with her because she genuinely looked like sixteen in that moment.

I had been awake for over half an hour, solely staring at the younger one and replaying what had happened the day before. A part of me still couldn’t believe I had flown out to Paris to see her. It seemed like an insane idea, considering we weren’t an actual couple. Remembering my initial shock when Camila had proposed being casual about it, I hadn’t been able to resist that offer. There was no denying we had a certain attraction to each other. But I was more than clear, that I wasn’t interested in having a relationship with anyone right now.

The pain of what had happened the last time I had been in Paris was still very much present. I forgave her, but I would never forget that heartbreak. Not reliving it again was my priority. I tried the best I could to be careful with my actions or words, but sometimes I slipped up. It was just so easy to be comfortable, and affectionate with her, in a way that was probably not within the realms of a normal friends-with-benefits arrangement. Nothing about us was normal though.

As long as Camila was okay with the way things were, I didn’t want to worry too much. We could enjoy our time together, but not let commitments or trust issues get in the way. It sounded almost too good to be true. But I had not pressured her into anything, and had repeatedly asked if she was okay with it. At this point, it was her responsibility as well, and I had to trust her judgment that things wouldn’t go wrong. 

So far everything went well; except for the younger one of us crying last night. I still wasn’t sure why she had been so emotional. It scared me to think she wasn’t ready for this after all. Being considerate and careful was all I could do, though. Of course, I wasn’t completely selfless. It wasn’t like I was only doing it for her. My own feelings for her were not gone. And I accepted that they would possibly never fully vanish. Acting on them was just as fulfilling for me as it was for her, especially without strings attached.

The night before had been absolutely incredible. After our first sexual encounter in New York, I had been convinced nothing would be better, but I had been wrong. So wrong! The fresh memory of feeling Camila tremble, hearing her moan, seeing her fall apart in lust was almost too much to handle. Our chemistry was not just on the field.

I couldn’t help myself but very softly stroke her exposed shoulder. The skin was warm and silky. Smirking gently, I saw all the bite-marks all over her neck. She would have a hard time covering them up but I hadn’t been able to control myself last night. A part of me wanted to lean in and kiss the bruised skin but I remained still, only gently brushing my fingertips against her collarbone.

Another few minutes passed before I finally decided to get out of bed. It wasn’t that early anyway. I picked up some new clothes from my bag and made my way to the shower. The warm water felt heavenly and I was definitely awake now. I started getting dressed and put on some subtle makeup when I heard the door opening behind me. Looking into the big bathroom mirror still, I saw Camila’s reflection standing in the doorway. She was only covered in the white sheets of the bed that looked like she was wearing a toga.

“Sorry, did I wake you?” I asked immediately and turned out to face her.

“I had to get up anyway, it’s good that you did”, she replied with a mild yawn and scratched her head. She looked adorable and still so much younger that I felt my heart fluttering a little.