Chapter Three: The Workshop

"Why do I have to come to your workshop?" Percy complained as Matthew dragged him along.

"Becaaaauuuuuse..." Matthew didn't get any further than that, simply continuing to excitedly pull Percy down the sidewalk. They got to the place where he worked, an auto mechanic shop, a few minutes later. Bernadette, Nathan, Alison, James, and Liam were already waiting outside, looking fairly bored. Alison and James were Specters that Percy had become friends with, and Liam was another Solid. He was tall, taller than Percy, and had dark hair, although Percy didn't know what color it would be on Earth. His right ear was pierced, and he was wearing a skull earring for the day. Percy had just made it out when he frowned a bit. It made him think of the skull ring Nico wore. No, nope, none of that.

"There you are, Matthew!" Bernadette perked up when she saw them come around the corner, drawing the others' attention to them as well. "Hi, Percy!"

"Hey, Bernadette," Percy said with a small smile. "Matthew dragged all of you guys out here too, huh?"

"Yeah," Liam said, sending a glare in Matthew's direction. "I was just getting off work, ready to head home and crash for a bit, when I get a bunch of messages from him going off about how we all need to be at the garage ASAP."

"You better not have crashed for too long." James turned his attention to Liam. "If I remember correctly, someone was supposed to be picking me up at six."

"I would've been there," Liam smiled, nudging James with his shoulder. Despite his being wreathed in flickering shadows, Percy was convinced he saw James smile. "Besides, you complain that I'm no fun when I'm tired."

"That's true," James admitted. "You're really not. How does cutting hair make you tired, by the way?"

"Oh, lay off. I'm a hairstylist. I do more than just cut hair, you know. Besides, people can be super draining."

"You think I'm draining?"

"No! I didn't mean you specifically; I meant people in general... I--" Liam looked at everyone else for help. He was mostly met with smirks and snickers. No help there.

Percy took pity on him. "Yeah, I know what you mean, Liam. Too many people can be taxing on anybody, unless they're the right people."

"Exactly!" Liam nodded, turning back to James again. "See? You know you're just the right person for me, right?"

"I just wanted to hear you say it," James laughed, tone mischievous. Liam elbowed him with a scowl. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get you so worked up." A shadowy arm wrapped around Liam's waist, as James wasn't tall enough to wrap an arm around his shoulders, and Liam's scowl melted. "You know you're just right for me too."

"Can we get on with all of this already?" Nathan cut in, ignoring the two's flirty banter. They'd been together since before Percy met them, so it wasn't anything new. "I have another shift at the restaurant tonight, and I really don't want to be late." That part was directed straight at Matthew.

"It was one time!" Matthew exclaimed.

"I was ten minutes late!"

"Once!"

"I got marked up!"

"Alright, I'm going to stop you two right here," Bernadette said, glaring at both of them. They shut up immediately. Bernadette was super sweet, but she was also super scary. "Nathan isn't the only one with work. I have to work too. Plus you interrupted Liam and James' date, which is super rude--"

"They weren't on the date yet," Matthew mumbled.

"Why are we here, Matthew?!" Bernadette, it seemed, did not appreciate being interrupted.

Matthew jumped before he grinned again. "Right. Come on in, guys. I can't wait for you to see this."

He led them into the garage, calling a hello to his boss Carson and co-worker Miriam. When their group reached the back of the garage, which they'd designated Matthew's workshop, there was a tarp covering whatever project he'd been working on most recently. Matthew moved around it to stand facing everyone. He put a hand on the tarp, pausing for dramatic effect, and pulled it away.

"Happy birthday, Perce!"