Chapter Five: Who Are You?

Naturally, Percy's door was ajar when he got there. He pushed the apartment door open quietly, feet silent on the hardwood floor as he made his way into the room. No one was in the living area or kitchen. Percy scanned them again just to be sure before slowly opening the drawer in his kitchen where he kept miscellaneous items, including a certain ballpoint pen.

Pen now in hand, he started towards the bedroom. A quick glance revealed the bathroom across was empty, but his bedroom door was shut. It hadn't been when he left this morning. Uncapping the pen, Percy felt the familiar weight of Riptide as it sprang to life. He missed the sword, but there wasn't exactly a reason to use it here. Focusing back to the matter at hand, he gripped the doorknob before opening the door and darting inside, eyes already roaming the room.

Everything was in its place; no one was there. Percy lowered his sword, confused. He looked around again, only to find himself once more in that blank and empty vastness that had started it all twenty-one years prior.

Do you still wish to return?

"Who are you?" Percy was trying to figure out where the voice was coming from, but it seemed to be the same as before. Everywhere and nowhere. Unidentifiable. Both inside and around him.

I am the creator, the destroyer, the beginning, the end. I am everything and nothing and all in between. Who are you?

"I'm Percy," Percy replied, although he didn't know why this person, if they were a person, wouldn't already know that.

Are you really?

"Why wouldn't I be?"

You are... different. You are like the Solids, but you have your memories. Your entire essence came into Haven at once. How peculiar.

"You're the one that brought me here. Shouldn't you already know that?" Percy couldn't see anything. Not even himself, he realized.

Perhaps. Tell me, who are you?

"I already told you! I'm Percy, Percy Jackson!"

Are you really?

"You already asked me that too!"

I see. That is why. I should have realized sooner.

"Why what? What's going on? Who are you?" There was no answer. Just like that, the voice was gone. The blank emptiness was gone. Percy was in his room, standing just where he had before, and Riptide was still in his hand. He recapped it, stowing it in his pocket for the time being, and sat down on the bed with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. "What just happened?"