Chapter Seventeen: Looking Up

A/N: HAPPY HALLOWEEN, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!! I'm so close to being done with classes for the semester, and that means UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another twenty Earth years passed before Chaos knew it. He spent a fair amount of time in Haven, getting to know Annabeth as she was now. She became a Solid some five years into her time there, surprising him when she looked like her nineteen-year-old self rather than how she was when she actually died. He figured it had something to do with the whole time thing in Haven or maybe with her regret starting when she was nineteen. Other than that, Chaos tried not to think about it too much and just chalked it up to Creation. No wonder the next inheritor chose Order; Creation was far too willy nilly.

He still looked in on Earth's inhabitants frequently as well. Ariadne, or Ari as she preferred, and Naudia were the two he kept an eye on the most. He couldn't shake the feeling that Naudia still had something important left to do, a feeling that became prevalent any time he saw her. The two of them-- Ari and Naudia-- had adopted a son and a daughter as well. His nephew Sean and niece Diane. Chaos enjoyed seeing them grow. Even if they weren't related to him by blood, they were Jacksons through and through just from the amount of trouble they caused.

Chaos occasionally debated going to Earth to see them for himself, all of them, but none of them knew him. Most everyone he knew had died. Although no new wars had come about, many of his demigod friends had passed on over the years. At this point, it was pretty much just Thalia, the partially-immortal huntress; Nico, who spent most of his time in the Underworld anyways; and Travis and Katie, who were living together in New Rome with their kids. Chiron, of course, was still at Camp as well.

As it was, Chaos had only just returned to the Island from Haven after a particularly nice date with Annabeth. Even though she didn't have her memories, she was still exactly like the Wise Girl he remembered. Sometimes she seemed to have vague recollections. Although she didn't remember Bernadette or Nathan at all, she thought that, like Chaos, Matthew seemed familiar. She also loved architecture just as much now as she had before. In fact, she ran her own architecture firm, just as she had on Earth. Chaos chuckled to himself; Haven was in for a shock once she really got going.

He looked into the stream and watched as it shifted through city after city, town after town, forest after forest. Nothing in particular was going on. The monsters had been relatively calm lately, if such a thing could happen. There were fewer of them, as they seemed to be taking longer to reform. That confirmed it for Chaos; he'd been incredibly unlucky in life, and that was why they all kept coming back. Hopefully the new demigods could live in some semblance of peace. He watched over them as best he could, making sure the new ones got to their Camps safely. It wasn't direct interference, and he wasn't doing it for personal gain since he didn't know any of them and they didn't know him, so he considered it a small loophole that Eternity left.

Chaos decided to check in on Naudia and Ariadne. Diane had her first day of school coming up, and Sean had discovered a love for baseball. Chaos watched his games sometimes. For an eleven-year-old, he was quite good.

The image showed the four of them in their house just outside New York City. It looked like they had just sat down for dinner. Diane was talking animatedly about a play date she'd had that day while Sean looked like he was trying his best to feed his green beans to the dog. Chaos chuckled, but he was a bit sad too. He hadn't even known they got a dog. Ariadne scolded Sean, making him scowl but start eating the green beans anyway, and Chaos wished he could join them for a family dinner just once. Still, he contented himself with the fact that they were happy. That was what truly mattered.