2: AM I WRONG?

©S A F I E

Chapter 2

ELLE

I woke up in haste.

I could feel the cold wind hit my back as I stretch out, feeling sore and tired as I turn, groaning. The sun is burning my eyelids and I raise my arm to shield my face from its glare. I'm closed to sleeping again only to hear the devil speak,

"You're awake now..."

I open my eyes and realize that the affectionate man I've slept with last night was again possessed by the devil. What happened last night made me blush both in embarrassment and anger.

Why does he need to be so cold and heartless now when I feel great? he loves to ruin my precious moments.

Without looking at him, I muttered in a small voice, "Yes, I am."

I waited for another minute for him to just go and let me sleep but when I open my eyes, I still saw him there - sitting on the couch watching me like I was some dirt on his carpet.

"Why are you still here? Don't you have to go to your office?" I chance a glance at the clock at my bedside table and huff, "It's 9 in the morning, don't you have some meetings to attend to?"

He rolled his eyes at me and I gulped. Am I going to be berated because of what I said? I bit my lip, having this urge to slap myself. "I waited for you to wake up." He snapped, his gaze lingering on my blushing face. I hastily bowed my head for my cheeks felt very hot, and I couldn't stop myself from doing so.

"And--?" I urge him to continue, pulling the comforter high up on my chin as I sat up and muster the courage to stare at him. He sighs, running his hands on his hair, "I waited so that I can apologize about what happen last night." He confessed.

"Oh? That's all you're going to say?" I bit my lip and nodded my head, saying, "It's okay-"

"No! Don't say that it is okay," Gabriel stared at me, his gaze intensified that I can feel my cheeks blushing again. He stands from his seat and made his way to me. I bowed my head. "I wanted to clarify the fact that you shouldn't assume I will be nicer after this. I want to rectify the situation and make our positions clear in this relationship," he clenched his jaw, holding my gaze as I stare at him. He leans down at me as he continues, "I don't want to make you long for my love. Elle, I can be a husband to you – I can protect you and provide for you – but I cannot love you the same as you do to me. Please, listen..."

I am startled when he snapped his fingers at me, pulling my chin to make me look at him. "I'm so sorry if I took advantage of you last night and I promise that it won't happen again. I promise." With those words he straightens up, leaving me shocked as I tried to understand what he just said. I look up at him, and he surprises me more when he leans down swiftly, kissing my cheek. "I need to be at the office at ten. I'll see you tonight..."

I watch as he takes his leave, shutting the door behind him. The tears I've been trying to suppress from the last ten minutes he was there in front of me betrayed me, falling hot against my cheek as I sobbed my heart out. And what is the use of trying to stop them? He isn't here to judge me or bully me, I am all alone; Always alone. Gabriel had made it clear of our positions - I will always be a step behind him for we are never really in sync, even from the very start of our relationship.

Still, I had hoped.

I thought we were perfect last night; that we finally have a chance to fix our relationship and get back to how we were before but he shut himself off again, transforming back to that monster I have feared. It hurts me that he keep on treating me like this - That he doesn't care about me or what I do. I hate the fact that he treats me like trash after he's done with me.