16 | Always Have, Always Will

After the show, the five band members silently walked back to their bus and placed their things inside. While they were packing, Malcolm realized he left his practice pad and drumsticks backstage, so he tells the bus driver and runs back inside the building's open doors.

As he dug around backstage, he heard muffled crying. He stopped looking and peered around the large black curtain to find Cenzie sitting in the corner crying.

"Cenzie? What are you doing back here?" Malcolm asked as he sat next to her. "I thought they swept the whole place?"

Cenzie nodded and wiped her nose with her sleeve. "Yeah, but I was outside and heard you were coming back in, so when they unlocked the doors and kept them open for you, I ran in." She let out a small laugh. "I guess I was just hoping you'd find me."

Malcolm lifted his arm and hesitated, but Cenzie grabbed it and draped it around her as she placed her head on his shoulder. "How are you?" She asked.

Malcolm shrugged. "Not okay, I guess. Everyone is mad at each other and hardly anyone is speaking to each other." He took a shaky sigh and felt tears threatening to pour out of his eyes. He wiped them away and apologized as Cenzie sat up and looked him in the eye.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," she whispered as she placed her hand on his cheek and wiped away one of his tears. "It's okay to cry, I won't judge."

"You're not going to use any of this as Calpurnia tea?" Malcolm asked jokingly.

Cenzie sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. "Part of me thinks that channel is what lead to all of this."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I was hoping to make Finn happy, since he's one of my best friends, and also Hannalynn, but part of me knew if Hannalynn did get jealous, it would stir up some tea for my YouTube," Cenzie took a shaky sigh and choked back her own tears. "I'm just really passionate about what I do and I stupidly let it get in the way of my relationships with everybody, and I hate myself for it, and I know everyone hates me for it too."

"I don't hate you," Malcolm tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear and took in a deep breath. "Actually, I love you, Cenzie Briar Hiyar. I always have, I always will."

Cenzie locked eyes with him and smiled. "I love you too, Malcolm Craig, always have and always will." Her hands cupped his face and pulled him in as her lips gently pressed against his. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her back before they pulled away and smiled at each other, their foreheads and noses touching.

"Took you long enough," Malcolm said jokingly before Cenzie playfully slapped him.

"Don't ruin the Menzie moment, Craig," she laughed. "Anyway, in all seriousness, I hope all of our friendships aren't ruined forever."

"I don't think so," Malcolm replied. "I think if we all just apologize and find a time to explain everything to Hunter, Hannalynn, and Jack, things will start to go back to normal."

"You really think so?" Cenzie asked. "Because I know Hanna, and sometimes she can really hold a grudge. I'm pretty sure she hates my guts right about now."

"Well, I haven't known Hanna as long as you or Hunter, but she seems like the type who loves her friends more than anything," Malcolm continued. "Have some faith, Cenz, I think if you just give it a little time everything will be okay again."

"I hope you're right," Cenzie planted a kiss on his cheek before standing up and holding out her hand. "I'm assuming they're all waiting for you, and I should probably call an Uber or something to get home."