First Day

Lu screams at me up the stairs that we were going to be late to our first day of junior year. I am putting the finishing touches on my hair running my fingers through the tight ringlet curls to get more of a beach wave and then spraying it with enough hairspray that it could freeze a fly in mid-air. My thick brown hair does not like to stay curled so I have to spray it just to get  it to stay for the school day. She yelled up that Simon was here and that if I didn't hurry up they would leave me here. I shot back that it was unlikely she could convince them to do that because they loved me oh so much more she scoffed and I heard the screen door slam shut. Simon was the only one of us with a car so we all decide that we would rather squeeze in a little and pay for gas money than take the bus or walk.

"Hey y'all," I chirped as I got in the middle seat with Louis on one side and Sammy on the other, "Okay how did Lu get the front seat she was the second to last one in the car!" I asked with an exasperated sigh. 

"She told me that if I gave her the front seat she would give me her cookie at lunch" Sammy shrugged. 

"Sammy you are a cookie whore and need serious help," Louis joked 

"Oh what are y'all going to stage another intervention" Sammy shot back. 

"I'll do what I can to get your life back on track buddy I just don't want cookies to be your downfall...you have such a bright future to throw it all away because someone is willing to give you a cookie." Louis looked proud of himself. 

"We are here folks" Simon commented ending the back and forth between our friends, "another year of getting up early and grueling football practices until late." He sighed

"Ya buddy winning Homecoming King and having to dealing with every girl in the school throw themselves at you must be tough," Sammy chuckled "present company excluded" he added after a look from Lu. 

"Ya whatever man I just don't want the pressure of it all I know scouts are looking at me this year and I need to do well." Simon looked genuinely worried putting my hand on his shoulder I tried to reassure him, "You'll be great this year, we all will! This is our year I can totally feel it!"

Lu rolled her eyes at me with a small smile "Okay little miss peppy you can take it down a notch. Let's go inside and get our year over with" 

We got out of the car and walked into the school together laughing and thinking that this is how we would walk into everyday of this year.