Chapter Four

“There is no way that Friday The 13th is the best longest running horror franchise” Mea argued with the boy in front of her

The classroom was empty, every chair and desk void of any student. Skipping homeroom was the best part of the day, according to Mea. She didn’t need to deal with everyone’s shit, so skipping and hanging out with Ben Petersen was marginally better.

Ben was president of the film club at Ashmore High and, what most people would call him, a total dork. Calling him a nerd would be a little cruel. Just a little. But sitting at the top of the classroom dressed in a shirt and tie didn’t help matters.

“Sure, it is. Jason is badass. He can bust through walls with a machete just to kill his victim. And the hockey mask is creepy.” Ben had an encyclopaedic knowledge of horror, which Mea appreciated. It made him more tolerable. No one else understood what the heck they were talking about, like it was a little foreign language. But Mea liked it that way.

Mea chuckled, “You make him sound like the Terminator. And I must be the only one who preferred the remake over the original.” She knew she hit a nerve there. It was an unpopular opinion.

“Bullshit, the original is always the best.”

“Kevin Bacon’s sex scene was the only good thing about the original.”

“Then name me another franchise that deserves the title?” Mea could see that Ben was pretty determined in defending his love for Jason Vorhees and was not going to let it go. But she knew she can handle him.

Mea smiled creepily, “Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Psycho, even Sleepaway Camp is better.” She knew she hit a chord there, and she was loving every second of it.

“Well there’s no accounting for taste. Friday the 13th to the death.” Ben replied, a little bitter.

“I’m telling you, the reboot was better.”

Ben stared wistfully into thin air, like he was imagining something dirty in his head, “Julianna Guill is hot, I give it that.” And they laughed, before Ben hung his head down low. “So was Natalya Grayson.”