Chapter Two

The alarm clock had woken her up

The alarm clock had woken her up. Six times in fact, and was now laying on the floor in the corner of her room, flung there in a fit of annoyance.

Camille Harman rushed to gather her books and notes, stuffing them inside her bag and not caring if they were forced into a crumpled bundle. She had pressed the snooze button far too many times for her liking and was now running fifteen minutes late.

Mea will be here any minute.

Camille appeared naturally beautiful, in the pretty even without make-up way. She seemed delicate, and innocent to the point where there isn't a bad bone in her. Her long and bright brunette hair rested in a heap on her shoulders, which were covered by a lemon tinted cardigan.

She glanced at her watch on her wrist.

"Shit" she mumbled, and darted out of her bedroom like an Olympic sprinter. She trekked down the flight of stairs, whilst shouting towards her mom in a hurry. "Sorry, running late, can't stop, Mea's going to be here any second."

Before her hand reached the door handle, she stopped. And turned. She didn't get a response. Not that she gave enough time for one, but still.

Camille entered the beige coloured living room, which opened up into the kitchen. She didn't see anyone. "And you're not here" Camille silently stated to herself.

What she did see was the notepad, on top of the kitchen table.

She fished it up as she reached it.
'Sorry, got an emergency at the hospital, had to head in. X'.

She rolled her eyes. Her mom worked the night shift at Ashmore General,
so she was shocked to see that she was clocked in this morning too. The mornings were usually spent catching up on the paper work- and sleep-, despite being head of surgery.

What emergency?

Camille's phone buzzed inside her back pocket, taking her attention away from the note.

It was Mea.

"You know you're late, right?" she said as she answered, failing to mention that she was in that exact same boat herself.