Chapter Eight

Students dispersed from the crowd after the memorial had ended

Students dispersed from the crowd after the memorial had ended. A sad and simple memorial that was clearly below budget. Ashmore High at its finest. Camille was just glad it was over.

She stood on the outskirts of the crowd, waiting to get out of there. She still had those messages on her mind. This person had claimed he killed Natalya, and was after them all. She knew what he was talking about. And here she was attending the memorial of the girl he says he murdered. She couldn't help but feel awkward.

Camille looked around for her friends. Olivia was standing with a cluster of cheerleaders, as put down on the seating arrangements. Yes, a seating arrangement. At a bloody memorial. She couldn't believe that even in a situation like this, they still had to maintain order. Mea was nowhere to be seen. She probably ditched with Ben, her scrawny and weird friend from film studies, right after she took the required photographs for the yearbook.

She glanced over at the group gathered near the front of the crowd. Travis was smiling and chatting away, all charming and handsome in his letterman's jacket with the rest of the football team that included Ethan and Dean and Zeke. Alec was gathered with his baseball teammates, too.

"Ugh, god I hate her."

Camille was so distracted that she didn't notice Olivia's presence. She turned back to her, darting her attention away from Travis. Camille realised Olivia must be talking about one person, Angie, who was standing in the centre of the cheer squad dictating orders like the queen bee she is. A role she elected herself.

"That girl needs to be impeached from whatever throne she thinks she sits on." Camille replied, trying to hide the fact that her mind was elsewhere. Elsewhere, meaning Travis.

Olivia fake hurled. "She thinks she already has the cheer captain spot in the bag." She glared at Angie from a distance, running her manicured nails through her glossy hair. "I can't wait to beat her to it."

Camille had guessed that Olivia would want the cheer captain spot, whether it was to do with her interest in it or to do with beating Angie at her own game.