The Beginning

Sadness, grief, joy, hope...
but at the end, always, despair.

      The light flickered from his blue eyes and the blood flowed from beneath his body. The Falchion, their only hope, now lay limp in his lifeless hands. Even until the very end, he couldn't bring himself to raise his sword against her.

      "What have I done...?"

      The last of the fog cleared from her mind; the evil laughter faded away. But the blood on her hand remained. And as she stared at the mangled body of her former lover, she was aware, beyond the numbness in her mind, that she was screaming.

      She retched, her chest heaved, and for the longest time, she simply didn't breathe. The tactician glanced up. Somehow, she had made her way to a wall, and now, it was the only structure that supported her weight.

      A fearful silence pervaded within the room, as the Shepherds stared in disbelief.

      It wasn't his blank eyes that stared into nothingness. It wasn't the blood that poured from his wound. And it wasn't the stench of horror within the room that made her vomit. It was simply the ring that still glittered on his finger — a ring forged to match her own. A reminder of not what she had done, but to whom she had done it to. Not just a soldier. Not just a ruler. Not just a friend. But her husband, who now lay dead feet away.

      An arrow was nocked. The drawstring was pulled, and the projectile flew at her.

      The archer was a brave man of noble blood. But to the very end, an utter fool.

      A cold, black rage, seeped into her cracked heart.

      Dark magic swept across the floor, tainting the air with a choking, life-sucking, fog.

      "As if a mere arrow could stop me."

——————

      Her gaze still remained locked onto her lover's blank eyes, denying his death. Anytime now, he would stand up, and smile at her the way he always did. And his blue eyes would shine with affection; his hand would grasp hers, telling her that everything will be alright. But his body remained still, unmoving, and she remained there, hugging her knees to her chest, waiting for him to stand up.

How long has it been?
Hours? Days? Weeks? A month?   

      The cold rage settled in her heart; the Fell dragon's presence slowly moved its way through her empty body. It attempted to break into her mind, but her shattered heart still held onto his memory. Not yet. Not yet.

Until the time comes when he remains alive and safe, I will never submit...

      The tactician muttered an incomprehensible spell — the only magic she knew that might reanimate him. And lo and behold, the man finally stood! But his eyes held no affection, his voice remained an echo of what it once was. Without a soul, she remembered, every body is an empty shell. At last, she raised her arm, hand spread open, a new spell forming.  

You aren't him.

      The decayed body turned to dust. All that was left was his ring, and, of course, the Falchion. The sword would be returned to the castle, to Lucina. He would have wanted that. She took control of a passing Grimleal, entrusting the sword with him, and sent him to his death in Ylisse.

      For the first time in so long, she took a look around her surroundings.

      Her comrades, the Shepherds, all lay dead at her feet, and the guilt overwhelmed her once more.

      A memory flickered in her clouded mind, one that had promised a lost hope that had been shattered so long ago.

As long as our bonds are strong, there is nothing that can break us...

We will not back down to some supposed fate!

      She had enough power to destroy everything in her world. But such an action would neither please, nor bring back, Chrom.

I hadn't tried hard enough. Our bonds weren't strong enough, Chrom.

But for you, I will...

RESTART